Author Topic: New KX500 owner, Float Question  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Coyote13

New KX500 owner, Float Question
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
Hello,

I picked up a 1995 500 a couple of days ago that seems to be in good shape. I just ordered a shop manual; in the mean time, if the float was leaking and the petcock was left on, is it probable or even possible for the fuel tank to drain into the cylinder and eventually into the case. I appreciate the replies and look forward to the ongoing discussions here.
I attached some pictures of the bike.
Thank you

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: New KX500 owner, Float Question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
WOW that is a clean 95 you have there. Sounds like you are in need of a new needle and seat.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
thats a tidy bike. looks alot newer than 95. now about your float question. if the fuel was left on and your float valve is defective, then yes i suppose that it could fill the crank case with fuel but you would also have fuel leaking out of the carb over flow at quite rate. if not then this could mean that the over flow is blocked. i think your first port of call should be to strip the carb down and inspect and clean every thing. look particularly at the rubber tip on the float/fuel valve and where it seats (just a small spec of dirt will stop it sealing). only adjust the float height as a last resort as it tends not to move on its own, make sure everything else is in order first. hope this is of some help
best regards
john

Offline Coyote13

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
Thank you,

I am not sure if that is even happening, I am wondering if that is even possible or would it drain out of the overflow prior to entering the bore?

Offline Coyote13

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »
Thanks John,

I have only had a chance to ride it around the block a couple of times and I noticed two small drips of fuel coming out of the overflow after I stopped so it seems ok. I am sure it is fine but wanted to check, I will take your advice and clean the carb out regardless. It runs just fine, the previous owner ran sonoco 110 with maxima 729 at 40:1 which I will continue.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
well thats what the over flow is for. but as i mentioned, if the over flow was blocked then it would have no where else to go so would probably end up going in to the engine.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »
Sweet bike. I have heard horror stories about that. It is possible to load up fuel to the bottom of the crank and then when trying to start it, it can tear stuff up. This is rare though. There can be too much fuel and when it gets moved to the top of the piston it can stop the crank with hydraulic pressure. that is hard on parts  :lol: I have heard that it can happen, but never witnessed it. I think you are alright, though. If you have a couple drops fall out after riding, thats no biggie. I always freak, when I forget to shut off the gas. Its usually just part of the ritual, to shut it off when done. The cylinder and crank both get fuel all the time. There should be no fuel in the transmission no matter what is wrong with the carb.

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »
Nice ride.I seen that on e-bay, right.
Fresh powder coat.  Second owner, first was his father.
What did you pay for that if you don`t mind?
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Coyote13

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
Yes, it was listed on ebay but it was located near me and I called and made him a cash offer; as a result, he took it off. I probably paid a bit high at $2200 but if it everything he claims it is I am happy with that.

Thanks again

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
be sure to keep that works pipe clean and spray some wd40 on it after you wash your bike.
if it gets any rust it is like cancer,  it will ruin the looks of that pipe.
great deal at 2200 if you ask me.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Coyote13

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I did yesterday after washing it. I wish it was the platinum version but I will make do. 8-)

Offline greencannon

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
I think $ 2200 is a little steep for a 95, but  certainly not a bad deal... repainted frame or not it looks like a well maintained bike, it's obvious someone was proud of their KX500.
Like the other guys said tear down the carb, inspect ,clean and or repair then bench test it. The overflow should let all your fuel dump out if not clogged and working properly.
 If it's loaded up really bad with fuel, plug up tranny breather hose and have a buddy help you flip bike over with sparkplug out. Handkick it over a while. Check behind ignition cover to see if fuel leaked thru the crankseal.