Author Topic: 1994 KX60 rebuild/refurbish  (Read 25852 times)

Offline diesel

Re: 1994 KX60 rebuild/refurbish
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 06:54:55 AM »
Nice!  You gotta be stoked about that rear shock.

Offline Coop

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »
Yeah that's a nice bonus for sure.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

1997 CR80RB, 1993 KX60, 1988 KX125

Offline Coop

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
I got the forks and bars on tonight. I had a few minutes to spare in the garage. I don't like those bars (they were on it when I bought it) but the funds have run dry for this bike so it will have to wait. I also want to replace those rusty bolts on the rear link, I tried cleaning them on the wire wheel but they didn't clean up very well.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

Offline Coop

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
Painted the radiator with aluminum high heat paint, think it looks pretty trick. Mounted the hand controls, throttle and throttle cable, grips (Nick picked green, I wanted black), mounted the radiator, installed the hoses and shroud. I also mounted the rear mud guard and top shock cover. Once I get the pipe I will finish the assembly.  ThrottleJunky is donating a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer to the project so I am waiting for it before I continue. I think the tank and wheels are going to take away from the project some cosmetically. The spokes are really rough and the tank is really dark on the top with faded spots where old graphics used to be. I tried a heat gun, wet sanding, and rubbing compound and none of them did anything at all. I am out of money though so the spokes and tank will have to wait, along with the ugly handlebars, lol.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:59:10 AM by Coop »

Offline diesel

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »
I guess I've always lucked out on old, faded fuel tanks.  If they're bad enough, you can scrape the old, discolored layer off with the edge of a coin...almost like a scratch-off lottery ticket.  But if you've already wet-sanded without good results, scratching it off probably wouldn't work.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
 Hey Coop Lookin' great!
I have had good luck with scotch brite pads or S.O.S pads on the spokes and rims of older bikes. and if they're really bad sandpaper and THEN Scotch-Brite yeah, its' boring & tedious...  and then you have to get out some polishing compound... more tedium and sore fingers, and if you don't wear gloves, black oxidation sore fingers... hey, wait a minute... that would be an excellent job for the nephew!  after all it is His bike right! :-D
  Hang in there Bro!
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
i have seen people dye tanks with great results. it was on the orange ktm tanks and they dye them black turns out really good if you want the tank black.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline Coop

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
Here is the tank:

Offline Coop

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:56 AM »
ThrottleJunky, your generosity is amazing! Not only did I get this very nice pipe and silencer in the mail today, but also a second box with boots and chest protector in it!

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 05:37:12 AM »
if you would like to dye the tank black i could get you some instructions. IMO it would look better all black than 2 shads of green.

sponsor

Offline Coop

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 05:43:18 AM »
if you would like to dye the tank black i could get you some instructions. IMO it would look better all black than 2 shads of green.

I think I have to agree with you. I would appreciate the instructions for sure.

Offline diesel

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 05:56:33 AM »

x2 on the tank dye instructions.  I'm stoked to make it black.

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »
here is the link to the thumper talk thread. its a pretty good right up. the only thing is he dyes the in side of the tank. i strongly recommend not to. get some plugs or something to keep the dye out of the inside. in the right up he states it wont hurt cumbustion if the dye comes off but it can f the carb. just fill the tank with boiling water and submerge it. the in side will still be green but the out side will be pretty black. also some people have had to do it 2 times to get the proper color. orange KTM tanks come out brownish the after the first dip and then look perfect after the second dip.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611365&highlight=tank+dye
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:41:11 AM by bigbellybob »

sponsor

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
the way i have died parts before is with my wifes stew pot (when shes not home), use RIT close dye, bring dye and water to a boil put parts in and cook them for a little while. the longer you leave in the darker they get. this works with all the little brake hose holders to. i also buy moose clear fuel and vent lines and dye them, it looks trick :-D
just remember its easier to start with white or clear parts, i know some times you got to go with what you have, good luck

p.s. i have a uncle like you that got me in to dirt bike$

Offline Coop

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 07:51:29 AM »
Thanks for the link bigbellybob . I don't have an extra $30 for that dye project right now, but may try that when I do. Like I said the tank and wheels are going to make it look not as nice as it should. I have sanded on the spokes for a full day and they still look really bad. Too many years of neglect I think by the previous owner. When/if I get the money I think I will just rebuild the rear wheel with new spokes. I want it to look nice, but can't stop the project because I can't afford new spokes or a tank dye job, haha.

I hope to get time later tonight to pretty much get it all together, if not it will be tomorrow. I didn't realize it until this morning that the clutch perch is broken and the brake perch is stripped where the adjuster screws in so those will have to be replaced now, ugh, lol.