Author Topic: Bike won't start, CARB leaking gas!!!  (Read 5759 times)

Offline butchpatrick

• Legends never die!!!
Bike won't start, CARB leaking gas!!!
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
I have a 1985 yamaha, the bike runs great but for some reason the bike wont start and the carb is leaking gas.  It leaks from the o-ring and gasket, I dont know if it's the origenl carb but I want to get the little machine to run, my son loves it. I was thinking of getting a new carb, but they want $235 for it, so I would like to try some stuff before it gets to that point.....thanks for all the help.

Offline IcemanK5

Re: Bike won't start, CARB leaking gas!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:43:03 AM »
If the carb is leaking fuel than check the float needle and seat. May be sticking  open. Replace if needed. Check the hieght of the float may need to adjust it.
It may not be starting because the clyn. is flooded with fuel and the plug can be fouled.
Check carb and clean and replace plug.

Kurt
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline butchpatrick

• Legends never die!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
I checked the float and its not sticking, I cleaned the carb d**n good but I will go get a new plug. The question I have is I dont now what you mean by checking the hieght of the float or when you say the seat.  If you can give me a example that would be great.....thanks.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »
somethins up with the floats, if the fuel is coming from the overflow that comes from the bowl. Usually its a little debris, and if that is the case, you need to check petcock filter, tank and gas cans for floaties, or anything loose. You have to be sure which hose its comin from too sometimes. It can be the seat where the plunger deal sits on, or the plunger deal can get hung up funny on the rod that it rides on. Someone on here posted, if you blow thru your fuel line then start pushing your floats up, it should stop the air flow, when the floats are level with the carb body. This is with the bowl off of course. Its actually a measurement, but that would tell you, if it was leaking at the float valve before reassembly. 

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
I did a 1984 yamaha tt and had to replace everything rubber from the petcock down.the screen on the pet cock get rotten by this age so I put on a whole new petcock, Every Hose,every o-ring,float needle and intake boots. Every rubber part was craked,hard or just strait rotten. That's an old bike  :| Has it been gone through in the last 10 years? You shouldn't need a new carb just the good cleaning done right and all new rubber stuff.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:17:00 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
Did you try K&L, they makes carb rebuild kits for a ton of older bikes. If your local bike shop gets parts from Marshall I know they carry the K&L kits if not there is lots of sites on line that sell them. One thing with the K&L kits they usually work for a couple different years & or models and sometimes there are extra parts in  the kits to cover all the years and models.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!