Author Topic: cryo metal treatments  (Read 1501 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
cryo metal treatments
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:50 AM »
i know that cbxracer30 is a fan of cryogenic metal treatments but i was wondering if anyone else has any opinions of it, good or bad? from what i have read it is claimed to extend the wear life and slightly strengthen the metal, both ferrous and non ferrous metals. i was going to add a poll to this post but i am not savvy enough to figure out how to do it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:45:02 AM by maddoggy »

Offline oic0

Re: cryo metal treatments
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:45:48 AM »
My understanding of it is that it helps steel the most but in other metals it can cause some stress relief and increased uniformity in the metal. Better heat conductivity and less likely to fail. Might make your piston less likely to shatter, especially if its cast, but don't know what it would do for a forged piston thats already so unlikely to break. Bearings, transmission, and crank pin would seem like the most logical things to me to cryo treat.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: cryo metal treatments
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
Here's an article where project two 50 is having their new sponsor go through their engine and some of the results..
  http://twostrokemotocross.com/2010/06/microblue-racing-sponsors-project-two-50-results-in-low-emission-yz250-two-stroke/

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"