Author Topic: Wheel Bearings  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Wheel Bearings
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
Recently made a discovery. I just had to replace the wheel bearings in the 250. I was kinda whining about just buying them and the guy at the local bike shop told me a good one. He said that he always pops bearings open and fills them with grease. They last ten times longer that way. I was like, "thats a sealed bearing" he said that its just a rubber seal and to pop them out with a pick-like tool.

There they were. New Bearings, No grease. The seals pop off easy and both inside and outside can come off just as easy as the other. Neither side of my All Balls bearings were greased. Can anyone tell me why they would be absent of grease? Thought I would pass it on. :wink:

Offline BDI

Re: Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »
I thought all sealed bearing came pregreased. I know they don't have a ton of grease because there is no benifit to over greasing bearings. To much grease can cause other probs in my opinion.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:53:01 AM »
kyle   those bearings need to be service very often. we have removable covers to make the job easyer.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
Mine may have had a greasy film on them, but I could not say they were greased from the factory. None was apparent to the naked eye. I had always greased the lips of the seals, the axles, and even the collar/spacer deal in the middle. I have never tried to grease a sealed bearing. I'm still learning... :-D

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »
a bearing that is lubed by grease must not be filled past 1/2 way with the proper grease. overfilling with grease results in churning which develops excess heat. heat + bearings = spalling or other bearing race damage. trust me, i have been trained by timken bearing company.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
a bearing that is lubed by grease must not be filled past 1/2 way with the proper grease. overfilling with grease results in churning which develops excess heat. heat + bearings = spalling or other bearing race damage. trust me, i have been trained by timken bearing company.

That's great advise. I did not know that. Thanks
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
 The sealed bearings are just like the kids sealed bearings on their skateboards, The only way I found out about that was after the boys ruining good bearings. I got Better ones and they came with instructions for cleaning and care.
    I just never thought to post anything like that, Thanks #42,!

I didn't know about any more than 1/2 the bearing with the grease, Thanks Dawgy.
I did find out what happens when you do "Pack" them... the grease heated up and blew past the seals...
  Maybe I can find a post on removing and replacing the bearing seals.  You do have to work slowly, I have Ham fisted the first few apart and bent the thin steel "washer" the rubber was vulcanized to..
  I'll look for a post...
  Here's a pretty good write up for a bicycle bearing, pretty much what I've found the same for the bearings I've done.
http://maintainthatride.blogspot.com/2008/06/con-tent-thyself-get-it-its-supposed-to.html

And for what it's worth:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5322/is_200412/ai_n21360835/
  Tuck\o/   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:14:43 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
actually, timken school taught me to fill the "free space" in a greased bearing cavity 1/3 to 2/3 full, but as a general rule i try to go with a happy medium. thus i recommend 1/2 way filled. the "free space" i'm refering to should be considered with any greased bearing application whether it be a wheel bearing cavity on your truck hub or a sealed individual bearing or whatever else you may work on. alot of mechanics pack their wheel bearings but fail to consider that the grease will not stay in the bearing when it heats up to normal operating temps. unless the entire cavity(free space) is filled to the proper level. i don't mean to sound like a know it all, i just know this info and figured i would share it.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Also keep in mind that grease is just a clay or soap type medium (lithium, sodium, calcium etc) that is used to hold a lubricating oil in suspension (essentially so it doesn't run out). The medium has a microsopic pourous structure like a sponge. I have popped off the seal on old bearings to add some grease but I have not regreased a new one. May have to try that. Cam.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
When I got my new motorcycle trailer I regreased both wheels. One had no grease and one had water instead of grease. Hmm. Cam.

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:36:32 PM »
I pop the seals with a pick then clean the bearing with solvent,warm soapy water, dry with compressed air being careful not to over speed the bearing, pack the bearing clear full rotate the bearing several times to make sure the balls and races are coated good.Then I wipe off every bit of the exces grease with in reason and pop the seals back on. This way you have grease where you want & need it the most,the balls & races.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
sweet! I had never heard of that. great info to know.