Author Topic: HID Lighting?  (Read 7218 times)

Offline JustinSB

HID Lighting?
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:36:43 AM »
I was running a battery powered HID on my bike for night races. I've had problems with the battery and I'm looking to power it off the bike. Has anyone ran a lighting coil on the 500 and have any recommendations?

I'm running a 35w HID that draws 3.5 amps. I was looking at running the Electrosport coil. http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-521.php?source=googlebase

Any suggestions?

Offline BDI

Re: HID Lighting?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »
That coil will not put out enough power to run your Hid. Also you will need a battery to run your hid or the light will go out when the rpms are low. There was a guy on here that was threatening to building a good coil for the kx500 but we have not heard any more about it. I wish someone would build a NICE COIL for the K5 but so far no luck.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
Still in progress.....engineers

That coil will not put out enough power to run your Hid. Also you will need a battery to run your hid or the light will go out when the rpms are low. There was a guy on here that was threatening to building a good coil for the kx500 but we have not heard any more about it. I wish someone would build a NICE COIL for the K5 but so far no luck.
"Let there be light"

Offline Monster Malibu1

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »
That would be cool to add a hid light to my bike when the coil becomes available.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
Still in progress.....engineers

Cool . I sure wouldn't mind swapping my Hid between my Honda and my K5. It would be so cool ripping the dunes at nite with a reliable light with good output at every rpm. It makes me want to fiddle with the beast just thinking about it.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
Dont take this the wrong way, I dont know what I'm really talking about here.

The coil is good for 35w right? The light is a 35w HID. So isn't 35w good for 35w?

And could I run the light off a battery which is constantly charging from the lighting coil?

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make it work.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »
The coil wouldn't produce enough power to run a light and charge at the same time. Also the coil produces 35w at high rpm so when slowing down, idling, ect it will not produce enough power to keep the light going. I would think in order to run a light and charge a battery you would need like a 60w or bigger coil. To run properly even at idle.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline oic0

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:27:58 PM »
Could you somehow regulate it to to some low amount and have it almost like trickle charging the battery to extend its life?
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
Could you somehow regulate it to to some low amount and have it almost like trickle charging the battery to extend its life?

Thats kind of what I was thinking. So you could run the light primarily off a battery, then trickle charge the battery to extend the battery life.

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
The rule of thumb is what ever your light draws your coils peak out put has to be twice that just to run the light. And yes you also need to charge the battery. HID lights are either on or off,either you have enough power to run it or you don't. So what will happen is if the coil puts out a peak of 35w that will be at a very high RPM so anything under that high RPM the light will go off. Now if you are running a battery the light will not do that until the battery dies but because the coil does not put out enough power to run the light and charge the battery then the battery will start to discharge as soon as you turn the light on.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »
  Does that lighting coil ouput A/C or D/C ?  I have a Moose lighting coil and never checked it. But if it is A/C and you are charging a battery, you will need to add a rectifier to convert from A/C to D/C.
  Does Eline still make that big alternator for the 500 ?
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Monster Malibu1

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 11:01:24 PM »
Would we be able to run led lighting off the 35 watt coil?, I don't know much about the led lights but I was told they use very little pwer.

Offline alward25

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:22:38 AM »
All power coming from the stator is AC current. You need a rectifier to convert it to DC current to power HID, which is why you need a battery.  Batteries are part of a DC current system. Eline does not make the 200w lighting system anymore due to build costs.  I guess the make more money building carbon fiber stuff.  Dc power is more consistent than AC because the light draws off the battery and the AC is basically pushing the current to the light based on the rpm.
Alex
  Does that lighting coil ouput A/C or D/C ?  I have a Moose lighting coil and never checked it. But if it is A/C and you are charging a battery, you will need to add a rectifier to convert from A/C to D/C.
"Let there be light"

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 06:34:48 AM »
All power coming from the stator is AC current. You need a rectifier to convert it to DC current to power HID, which is why you need a battery.  Batteries are part of a DC current system. Eline does not make the 200w lighting system anymore due to build costs.  I guess the make more money building carbon fiber stuff.  Dc power is more consistent than AC because the light draws off the battery and the AC is basically pushing the current to the light based on the rpm.
Alex
I know my opinion of the e-line coil is a harsh one and not shared by all. I was wondering if you could give us a hint as to what you guys have decided to do as far as coil design goes. Is it going to be based off the E-LINE or are you guys going to do something new.

Offline alward25

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:13 AM »
Yes

Alex
I know my opinion of the e-line coil is a harsh one and not shared by all. I was wondering if you could give us a hint as to what you guys have decided to do as far as coil design goes. Is it going to be based off the E-LINE or are you guys going to do something new.
"Let there be light"