Author Topic: Fx Seat cover can fit, if you are up for a fight.  (Read 3013 times)

Offline oic0

Fx Seat cover can fit, if you are up for a fight.
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
My wife and I spent a good hour working on this and finally got it to go on without any wrinkles or slack. At first I thought there was no way it would go on. Blow dryer and elbow grease got it on there.

You guys manage to get them on yours slack free?

2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline crazyolbastard

Re: Fx Seat cover can fit, if you are up for a fight.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »
I have read that it is important to let them sit out in the sun and warm up and "relax"
before wrestling them on.
I  too need a new seat cover and am looking for a n-style cover to match my graffixs
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »
you use steam to streach it out. Take it to a upholstry shop they know how to do it right.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »
i see you have a stanley elec. staple gun. i had one of those, ticked me off so bad that i threw it away. what a pile of crap. tried to put a cover on my seat with it and it wouldn't drive the staples into the plastic pan, even though i had it turned to the highest setting. your cover looks good. i would suggest throwing seat covers in the dryer for a few minutes and take them out into the hot sun to put them on. on a side note, anyone know of a small air gun that accepts 1/4" staples. i can't find an air gun that will accept the short staples and i just wont use longer than 1/4" on a seat cover.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:58 AM »
i see you have a stanley elec. staple gun. i had one of those, ticked me off so bad that i threw it away. what a pile of crap. tried to put a cover on my seat with it and it wouldn't drive the staples into the plastic pan, even though i had it turned to the highest setting. your cover looks good. i would suggest throwing seat covers in the dryer for a few minutes and take them out into the hot sun to put them on. on a side note, anyone know of a small air gun that accepts 1/4" staples. i can't find an air gun that will accept the short staples and i just wont use longer than 1/4" on a seat cover.
i had the same problem and what is was the compressor was a gutless pig not giving it enough air,annoying isnt it!!

Offline slow600

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
mine is crease free.....until i put it on the bike. the tank flexes the seat just enough to make a crease, i really dont care since my caboose covers it.

Offline oic0

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Didn't have any problems with the staple gun. 90% of them bottomed out, a few of them had to be whacked to drive them in the rest of the way. A lot of it had to do with how hard I pushed down on it. If its not pushed against the surface hard, it recoils back and doesn't drive the staple all the way in. Side affect of its light weight I guess.

I think the one that came off of it was an n-style? the top was meshy like this and the sides were white and green graphics that matched the bike. Looked good but in its old age the plasticy sides were cracking a lot and letting the foam underneath start to rot.
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
I use an industrial heat gun to allow the wrinkles to stretch out. You must have one kick a$$ staple gun, cause every KX i've ever covered, the biggest PIA was getting the staples to drive in clean !!   :x
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline oic0

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:17:43 AM »
Just a lil cheap POS from lowes ;) Have also used it for attaching shingles (shingled a 2x10 as a goat emery play ramp, no more hoof trimming :D ). And put a hardboard backing on a bookshelf with it. Shot straight through the hard board in to the wood. I was impressed. Again though, have to press down on it hard otherwise it pushes the light little gun back instead of the staple or nail in. Beats the heck out of the ol chrome manual staple guns Ive always had.
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »
Just a lil cheap POS from lowes ;) Have also used it for attaching shingles (shingled a 2x10 as a goat emery play ramp, no more hoof trimming :D ). And put a hardboard backing on a bookshelf with it. Shot straight through the hard board in to the wood. I was impressed. Again though, have to press down on it hard otherwise it pushes the light little gun back instead of the staple or nail in. Beats the heck out of the ol chrome manual staple guns Ive always had.
well, you got the POS part right.