Author Topic: easy to start  (Read 5209 times)

Offline 01KX5WOODSRIDER

easy to start
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 12:40:55 PM »
hughes

Im running 14-50 sprockets. Ist is almost a walking pace at idle and it lets you get into 2nd sooner. It still hauls in 5th too.
   As for float level I set mine at 2mm below bowl top. I used a 2 liter soda bottle with top cut off to set the carb in with the drain bolt loose on the bottom. I got a small funnel and hose to attach to carb fuel inlet. I started adding gas to funnel and it runs out bottom of carb into soda bottle. When the fuel gets high enough to raise the floats and stop the fuel the funnel stays full and you can see what you float level is inside the float bowl. Just be sure to do this test outdoors with plenty of ventalation and no ignition source nearby.

Rick
Ricks rides
KX-500
KX-250
DR-350
RZ-350

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
easy to start
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 01:11:22 PM »
I made a mistake my bike is running the Mikuni carb and the newer 88-04 is using the Keihin. My float level is 27mm from top of float to carb body flange. Keihin is measured from float arm to carb body flange and is 15-17mm.

Woodsrider

I understand the fuel level guage approach. Threads into carb drain and has a clear hose and has measurement on the hose. I not sure how you are testing yours.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

easy to start
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 04:11:17 PM »
If you look in the jetting sticky, I posted a slick& easy method for setting your float height(90 and up) without measuring.  For woods riding I like to run it a bit lower (1-2mm but I just eyeball it) to prevent too much gas from leaking out the overflows on slow rough ground.  Not a runability issue but helps the mileage a bit. Cam.

Offline 01KX5WOODSRIDER

easy to start
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 08:51:22 AM »
KXcam22
   What page is your jetting method on in sticky?

hughes
   I don't have the jetting gauge so I set the carb in soda bottle
   to check the fuel level.
Ricks rides
KX-500
KX-250
DR-350
RZ-350

Offline KXcam22

easy to start
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 04:21:56 PM »
Woodsrider,
    Took me forever to find it so I cut & pasted it here.

An easy method I use to set my float level is to (with the carb on the bench) put a piece of spare fuel line on and blow (used fuel line tastes bad) into it while tipping the carb back with the float pivot pointed up. When the air flow stops, that is your float level. On the KX the rib in the center of the float should be parallel (or almost) to the carb body but not past. You will find this matches the stock specs.  For woods riding I like to adjust the level a touch lower to prevent fuel from splilling out of the overflow vents on rough trails.   Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline barryadam

easy to start
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 03:15:01 PM »
Ok, so I think I've finally got the beast to start first kick every time!

I just upped the main jet to a 162 and now all my jetting is almost  exactly the recommended values from the chart here on the forum.  I also just added the V-Force Delta 2 reed cage.  And I learned from the posts here that you have to kick it like you mean it from the top every time.

From the forum, I also learned the best cold start procedure, so I'm now good to go anywhere, anytime.

Being confident in the ability to start the bike easily makes the difference in being motivated to ride or hating this thing.

Thanks again to all the contributors here.  Please keep it up.

B
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline Timbowe

easy to start
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 03:24:28 PM »
Good on you Barry! Makes life a lot easier when you can start ya bike every time all the time. Mines never failed me. Hope it does'nt now I've said that!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master