Author Topic: FIRST RIDE TODAY 86 KX500  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Roostmad1

FIRST RIDE TODAY 86 KX500
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
hi everybody,took the K5 for a run around the streets this afternoon after spending the last 10 days going through everything,its goes mental,i never had a 500 before and love that massive spread of power,was only using half and it was wheel up,only thing im worried about that it might be running a little bit lean but doesnt miss a beat and insant throttle response and truck loads of power,if i was lean would it run so good?,i dont think so!!took the plug out and it clean with a dark tan colour but what has me worried is how clean the plug is?i might put the needle in the middle tonight,it came from a california and now its in new zealand and we are going tinto winter so dont i have to richen it up for winter?,also i put a moose reed valve spacer on it but never rode it before that but was reading on here how good a mod it is,what a awesome bike my new love of my life!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:06:06 AM by Roostmad1 »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: FIRST RIDE TODAY 86 KX500
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
Hey Roost,
 Another great build, all you guys Restoring/Refreshing are making me jealous...

Here's a jetting chart that should get you right close Mate, its surprising how many guys say it's not much more than 1 or 2 sizes off and they're happy. 
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php?page=11

Quickie Carb tuning from owners manual :http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11045&pos=2

(I can't seem to keep all the pages lined up, :| snoop around my gallery and all the pages are there)
 Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Monster Malibu1

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
Roost, that's a nice looking bike for an 86, did you buy it like that or did you rebuild it yourself?

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
Hey Roost,
 Another great build, all you guys Restoring/Refreshing are making me jealous...

Here's a jetting chart that should get you right close Mate, its surprising how many guys say it's not much more than 1 or 2 sizes off and they're happy. 
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php?page=11

Quickie Carb tuning from owners manual :http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11045&pos=2

(I can't seem to keep all the pages lined up, :| snoop around my gallery and all the pages are there)
 Tuck\o/ 
thanks friar,even though i think its spot on i would rather have it slighly rich just for peice of mind

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:05:26 PM »
Roost, that's a nice looking bike for an 86, did you buy it like that or did you rebuild it yourself?
Hi monstermalibu1,i've given it a general tidy up but was mostly as you see it,dont think its done to much work,i had to take the top end of as someone had put the powervalves in wrong and where not opening properly,one was open the other was closed,it would of been restricting the hell out of it,it seems to have a heap of power from off idol right to the top even though i havent given it anymore than half throttle to scared at the moment lol!!!

Offline Monster Malibu1

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
I took it easy on my 87 500 when I first got it and then with a little more seat time it was balls to the wall. I love the power of this old bike, a few local punks want to race me with their 2008+ 450 4 strokes but I've backed off because they wouldn't stand a chance.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
i found out why my bike was running lean had a decent air leak,stupid me in to much of a hurry to try the beast out i put the moose reed spacer on and i forgot to put a gasket between the reedvalve and the spacer doh,i was thinking about it all last night and it dawned on me this morning,going for a test run hell i thought it was going good yesterday, can't wait to go for a ride when it stops raining,have started it and sounds very crisp,[KX500's the bigblock of MX 2 strokers,im hooked]

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
 :-D :-D
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »
update took it for a burn down the road and is running awesome,just getting use to it,good fun aren't they!!,plug seems to be a nice chocolate colour now running very clean,next im putting in a new clutch this week.

Offline NZ500

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi. Your 500 looks real tidy. I brought a 1990 kx500 in the weekend. I'm in New Zealand too (south canterbury). Mines had a lot of money spent on it (new fmf pipe, procircuit silencer, plastics, all suspension rebuilt) but found out when I got home the crank/main bearings are rooted unfortunately. So mine's sitting in the dining room stripped down for rebuild now. Where are you in NZ? Is your bike from the guy in Nelson who imports them?

Offline dirk_diggler

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
Nice looking '86 Roost :mrgreen:
United Kingdom

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »
sweet bike. love it.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
Hi. Your 500 looks real tidy. I brought a 1990 kx500 in the weekend. I'm in New Zealand too (south canterbury). Mines had a lot of money spent on it (new fmf pipe, procircuit silencer, plastics, all suspension rebuilt) but found out when I got home the crank/main bearings are rooted unfortunately. So mine's sitting in the dining room stripped down for rebuild now. Where are you in NZ? Is your bike from the guy in Nelson who imports them?
Hi,i'm up in wellington,no i got it of trademe two weeks ago from a guy in auckland who has been bringing them in from the states,i know the guy from nelson your talking about though that sells real mintas on trademe,shame to here about your 500 but it can all be fixed anyway the 86 is a california import from a nice dry climate so no rust anywhere,i'd say it hasn't done much work at all and maybe never seen the loads of mud and crap like here in new zealand i doubt its ever been covered in mud at all as there was no evidence of it anywhere,had to do just minor things to it,just finished today putting a new clutch in  today and now its super smooth,does not ride on the clutch now i had to file some minor burrs on the clutch basket fingers,i'm really impressed for a old bike how nice it rides, the comfortable riding position and the real plush suspension,smooth gearbox actually feels better than my 94 kx250 and not to mention a ton of torque and more grunt than you'll ever need,you dont have to rev a 500 there so understressed they don't work hard and should last a very long time if well looked after,got any pictures of your beast?good talking to you all,and thanks everbody for the positive feedback on my K5,cheers Richard
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:45:36 PM by Roostmad1 »

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:31:53 AM »
Nice bike Roostmad.

I find myself hating this KXriders foruim. We sit here here read and look at all the threads and pic's and then run out and tear our bikes down and rebuild them.
This a pic. of my 90 version of my rebuild:

The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
Nice bike Roostmad.

I find myself hating this KXriders foruim. We sit here here read and look at all the threads and pic's and then run out and tear our bikes down and rebuild them.
This a pic. of my 90 version of my rebuild:

yes thanks, your looks mint to mate,like your wheels,thats what i will be doing next when i get some more spare cash,i know what you mean about the KXriders forums gives you motovation though!!cheers Richard