Author Topic: Rotor / brake pad issue?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline kawi4life

Rotor / brake pad issue?
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
I just replaced the front brake pads on my kx250f and had a lot of trouble getting the pistons to stay compressed in the caliper. After messin around with them for a little bit I finally got the caliper on the rotor. I button'd it back up and realized there was a lot of drag when I would spin the front wheel, it wasnt free spinning like it should but the brake still worked fine. I have never had this problem before when replacing brake pads, just confused. I also realized there is play on the rotor when holding the front brake and rocking the wheel forward and back. The play is where the Circle clips ( not sure what they are called) hold the rotor in place.   Not sure whats goin on just doesnt not seem normal or safe to ride.  Any ideas whats going on? Is it normal to have some drag with new brake pads? Let me know what you think.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Rotor / brake pad issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
Kawi,
Put the bike on a stand to keep the front wheel off the ground, loosen all of the pinch bolts on the axle & spin the front wheel & apply the brake hard. Do this a couple of times & while holding the brake in snug the pinch bolts & check for any drag.

The pins are floating & designed to let the rotor flex. It's normal.
Let us know how you make out.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
 The new pads may have pushed the pistons farther in the caliper, if nothing is binding ( D'Gold Guy's post) I think I would clean & lube everything up and look for grooves in the pins.
  A lot of times dirt and rust form where the pistons have moved out of the caliper and putting new pads in pushes the pistons back in the caliper along with some crud.
  Tuck\o/

Brake bad replacement vid:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfPqu3LMti8&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:39:25 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
Maybe when you pushed the new pads in your brake fluid went back into the reservoir.  It should over flow out of the tiny vent but if it's plugged it could be pressured and that's why they come back out.
KX 500 Rider

Offline kawi4life

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will check it out tomorrow and let you know.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:46 AM »
Most average riders,  I'm not talking racers, want the fastest-quickest bike they can make or buy.  They will hop on a bike and take off like a bat out of hell.  The first time they check the brakes is when they need them.  That can be "to late" in a critical situation, on a trail with a cliff, shear drop off in the dunes..........
When I take off on a bike the first thing I check is how well the brakes work.
When changing pads I always flush the system with new fluid.  I change my fluid at the least once a year.  Also, keep your opened bottle of brake fluid inside your house where it's climate controlled.  When I get done using it I cut a piece of baggie and put over the top of the bottle then put the cap on.  Brake fluid attracts moisture,  that's detrimental to your brake system.  I buy the bottle that fits the job I'm doing.  In other words don't buy the big bottle because it's a better buy as far as ounces to dollars.  Buy the small bottle so you don't have it sitting around forever, absorbing moisture.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 05:18:12 AM »
  True Dat!
"hygroscopic material (literally "water seeking") is one that readily absorbs water (usually from the atmosphere)."

The brake fluid literally attracts moisture from the atmosphere, when you put this in your brake system it will
 1. lower the boiling point of fluid. (usually as soon as you need the brakes the most!)
 2.  the water can collect in the low spots of the system and start rust formations.
    More than you really cared to know... :lol: 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
Sounds like the system is over full with oil. The buttons on a floating disc are not supposed to be loose but they get that way from heavy useage. When the rotor gets hot it expands and floats on the buttons. When it cools down it should be snug again.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:17:40 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!