Author Topic: Silencers and sparkies  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Ramski

Silencers and sparkies
« on: March 27, 2004, 05:03:51 PM »
Well, I have FMF unit that I'm thinking about ditching. I've noticed that when running 120 width tires it'll hit the FMF unit slightly and over time start tweeking the subframe. I'd like to get the Zipty silencer but then I don't have a sparky. I still have my stock silencer that I'm thinking about welding a Sparky to the end like Abbott and them used to run.

Has anybody ever modified their stock silencer like this? I know they shorten the silencer before welding the Sparky to it but how much? Anyone?
Danny Lesovsky

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 05:25:55 PM »
Welcome, glad to see you're back from Korea. I have that setup and I took 3 inches off the length of my stocker and heliarced to sparky on.

Offline Ramski

Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 05:42:33 PM »
Cool. I'll give the 3 inches a try.
Danny Lesovsky

kawdude

Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 03:00:47 PM »
Is the stock silencer Alum or steel?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 05:26:38 PM »
Aluminum skin, soft steel inner baffle shaft.

Quote from: kawdude
Is the stock silencer Alum or steel?

Rick

Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 04:38:19 AM »
Paul, does the weld together unit have better performance than the FMF spark arrester unit?  If not, why not just buy the FMF complete spark arrester?  If so, any idea why?

Also, have you ever sound tested?  For the ISDE Qualifiers, I have to sound test at 96 dB, so always a concern.  With the FMF Turbine Core, I sound test at 92 dB, which is way less than the new four stroke bikes.  I have seen some folks stuff the airbox full of rags to pass sound test, and then remove after taking the bike from impound before their start minute.  I like to play by the rules, so need to keep her less than 96 dB.  I have a brand new stock muffler that I could modify, so....

Thanks

Rick

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 04:52:20 AM »
Stocker sound tests @ 93db with fresh packing. I've never run an FMF unit adn the only reason I welded my sparkie tot he stock unit is because I got tired of backtracking to find it :lol:

mikesmith

Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 05:57:44 AM »
Destry Abbott almost always runs a sparky on the stock silencer (I have seen a FMF on there once),from what I hear its the best set up allthough Im running a aftermarket myself.

kawdude

Silencers and sparkies
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 01:47:11 PM »
Does anyone have a closeup pic of the sparky mounted to the stock muffler.  If so,  could you post it?  I don't think I've seen it at least I can't picture it.