Author Topic: Leaky Transmission Drain Plug  (Read 2688 times)

NastyNick

Leaky Transmission Drain Plug
« on: March 16, 2004, 03:00:50 AM »
I hate to tighten this too much.  Hhas anybody used an oring or rubber gasket to seal it up?  Threads look fine and clean (inside and out), but it just won't seal and I am too paranoid to tighten it any more.

toddwunsch

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 04:12:41 AM »
An o-ring may work, but you don't want that thing falling out.  I use teflon tape on the threads of my other bike (white tape plumbers use to seal pipe joints) and it works great.

Rick

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »
ALWAYS RUN A WIRE THROUGH YOUR OIL PLUG.  You're not going to very happy if you lose the plug, the oil follows, and finally small pieces of transmission.  Spend an extra 2 minutes and add some wire through the oil plug.  Your plug will never come out unless you take it out.

Rick

NastyNick

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 11:03:59 AM »
Your plug will never come out unless you take it out.

How?  My plug has way to run any wire through it.  Drill it?  THen what?  Attach the other end of the wire to the frame?  How is that supposed to keep it from coming out?  I am having a "blond" day today, so sorry for the dumb questions.

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 09:42:09 PM »
If you get a magnetic drain plug it has a safety wire hole drilled into it and there less than $10.00.Or drill a small hole through your stocker,in the head of the bolt(from one side to the other were you put a wrench on it)Just snug it up or itll strip,wire through the bolt head and on the frame if you run a skid plate or where the wire wont make contact with the ground and brake the wire.I use never seize on the threads and as far as the leak are the threads starting to pull out of the case?Look and make sure its flat with no burs were the bolt seats on the case and try a new washer(aluminum one is best)best bet is the magnetic plug under the MOOSE name.Some guy I rode with rebuilt his bike and wondered why it kept trying to lock up on a ride we were on.Well he didnt tighten his radiator hose so it blew off and drained the coolant,and he must not have tightened the plug in the tranny because it fell out and he had no trans fluid.He rode it back to the truck like that if you can beleive it!

NastyNick

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 03:37:15 AM »
ok..I figured out what the problem was.  The d**n stock plastic washer on the drain plug was cracked.   I didn't notice it when I put it on the other night.  Threads are all good inside the case and on the bolt.  Gonna order the Moose one today.

Thanks (again) for the help

NastyNick

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 10:46:13 AM »
It turns out that sometime in the past, someone stripped the oil plug and they had to have the case tapped for a bigger bolt. I can't use a standard one but a local motorcycle mechanic (and the dealer) said I could use the teflon tape method to fix it up, so I am going to try that out tonight.

My clymers book says to use 800ml of fluid in the tranny.  If I put that much in, my sight-window is completely covered.  On my kids kx250f the sight-window has hash-marks about halfway up, so, how much do you guys use?

toddwunsch

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 07:52:34 PM »
Half way up..