Author Topic: Idle Kick-Backs v.II  (Read 6841 times)

ruputa

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2004, 09:44:27 AM »
Yea Kawdude..the weather in our area sucks today!! (Peoria Bloomington) What gas are you using--And mix ratio? Are your floats set properly? Both will lead to the problems you are having. Too rich and too much oil in the gas.

kawdude

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 01:13:26 PM »
92 octane mixed 32to1.  As far as I know the float is set right.  When I dropped to a 55 I looked at the floats and they seem correct.

Having a hard time with this because I can't tell by sound if the bike is lean or rich.  The symptoms appear to be rich.  Again, cracking the throttle it appears to have good response buy midway it runs rough.  I don't think that it's loading up.  Just rough, still has power but could have more.  When I first assembled the engine it ran as if jetted correctly.  Mid range would hit with a weeeeeeen and would launch.

ruputa

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004, 01:55:02 PM »
I believe 32:1 is to much oil. I run 36:1--40:1. Oil shooting out of your silencer is one sure sign of bad mix ratio. Also you can rob a lot of power with to much oil and makes for very hard starting because of the oil fouled plug. A 168 main and 55 pilot jet is fine and 3rd clip is fine also. I would lean out your mixture to 36:1 and check your floats for hole and float height.

kawdude

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 04:38:34 AM »
When I first started the bike after the rebuild mid range and up was clean.  I'm wondering if a over saturated oil filter would lean out the mix???

Not OIL...air filter

ruputa

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 04:44:55 AM »
Hi kawdude..just stoped by home to stick so food down my neck.  If by oil filter you mean oiled air filter...A saturated air filter will increase richness via less air flow. I am sure you need to go to 36:1 - 40:1 gas to oil mix. At 32:1 I am sure you are having major starting problem.

Folke

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 07:59:56 AM »
If you change to 52 thats will happen:when you going fast and turn of the throttle, the engine will have to little fuel and you now whats happens. In Swedish we call it "Sk?ra p? avslag". Translate that !!
Have you chech so your exhaustvalve will open corecctly? Maybe it?s close for long time.

Twist-a-grip

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 10:50:05 AM »
If you are dripping fuel out the overflow, you CANNOT jet the bike properly.  Check your float level to see if it is set correctly(16MM).  If it is set correctly, turn your fuel on and leave a cup under your overflow tube.  Wait about ten minutes and check to see if there is a drip.  If there is...replace your float needle and check it again.
  I had the same problem.  The float needle leaked so I replaced it. I ran the test again...waited 20min. not a drop.  If your float is not seating you will have a rich bottom end and to a certain extent everywhere else.  Changing the jetting is only masking the problem.  Hope this helps.
John

kawdude

Idle Kick-Backs v.II
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2004, 11:37:19 AM »
Quote from: ruputa
A saturated air filter will increase richness via less air flow. quote]

Interesting.  Maybe I'm way lean and need to richen it since it ran clean with a new air filter.  I'll play with the needle and jets and such to see which way to go.

As for the floats and there adjustment, there is gas coming out of the overflow but only after kicking on it (shaking it).  If I turn the gas on and let is set nothing leaks.

Thanks for all the help!