Author Topic: what and where for top end  (Read 1750 times)

Offline ratbastard 500

what and where for top end
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:02:35 AM »
Hi all I'm brand new to the site,so my questions I'm sure have been answered somewhere but I have to build on my 10 posts so... I recently got a 1994 kx 500 and it sucked the plating off the cylinder right above the exhaust port. So my questions are what is required to get it up and going again,and I live in san diego so where is a place to send it (the cylinder) out to have the work done, and about what prices am I looking at ( ballpark). Thanks in advance I know I could probably search but I need 10 posts, so this is #1 or #2 if the intro. counts

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: what and where for top end
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
Welcome Rat.  There is a good write-up in the mods section on plating companies, but you'll need afew more posts to view it.   So, in a nut shell, my personal preference is Power Seal located in PA.  State of the art equipment and very good guys to deal with.  Pricing is right around $185-$225 + shipping.  (And you can supply a new piston or they will sell you one, but a New piston is needed!)
Only other 2 places that did as good of work for me in the past were Millennium Technologies and US Chrome.
Also, you will have to remove the cylinder head studs, powervalves, and the allen head bolt on the side before sending the cylinder out or they will tack on a service charge for removal.
Hope this helps, ROOST
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »
I've worked for a few shops and they have all sent their cylinders to US Chrome in Wisconsin. I have hard good things about Power Seal and Millennium Tech from many people I know and on here.

Before you tear your engine down do a leak down test to make sure your crank seals are good. If they turn out bad then while your cylinder is being re-plated you can throw in some new bearings and seals on the crank. Saves on down time. Here is a link to read on the leak down procedure: http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6608.0.html
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline ratbastard 500

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:28:45 AM »
Thanks guys, when I got the bike it was already taken apart so no leakdown test, but I do intend to do the crank bearings and seals just for piece-of-mind. Again thanks