Author Topic: YAY! KDX Build  (Read 24876 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: YAY! KDX Build (turned into a quad)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Got a bunch of work done today and yesterday. Got the frame stripped down to skeleton yesterday. Tried the spot blaster out and got sick of filling the syphon bag every 2 minutes. Other than that it seemed to work pretty good. I went today and picked up a Campbell Hausfeld syphon blaster with a 10ft hose that just gets shoved in the bag of media. Works much better and the spray nozzle is smaller but I think it works better. All in all it was well worth the $20. Got a couple pics but the camera died so I'll have to get more tomorrow.

Alumaloy works pretty good. I was real impressed with it. Only problem was heating the swingarm with a propane torch isn't happening. I messed around for half an hour and couldn't get it hotter than 418* so I barrowed my dads acetylene torches and it didn't take long. I used 2 sticks out of 4 that I ordered. When heating the swingarm with torches you have to be careful as it starts to melt about the time it's hot enough for the Alumaloy. The axle carrier wasn't an issue at all but that is much thicker. Alumaloy drills pretty nice. Definitely harder than normal aluminum but still softer than steel.  I'll have to get some pics. The before pics are gone forever as I dropped my phone and somehow that destroyed my sd card. It looks fine but nothing will read it.

During the blast process.

After the whole thing had been blasted.

The frame has had all the previous owners welds (if you can even call them that) ground off and re-welded properly. All cracks and holes are also welded. Pile of parts to the left have been blasted. Just need wiped down and primed/painted.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:32:44 PM by Goat »
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

Re: YAY! KDX Build
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »
Everything has been either media blasted or wire wheeled. Started laying primer last night on some of the parts. Not enough hanging room to do everything at once unfortunately. I'll get some pics of primed parts today. Debating on painting them gloss black today or setting them aside and priming the rest of the parts first. Hoping to have the quad back together this weekend.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:03:58 AM »
I found a speed calculator for atv's. It allows you to put in the gear ratios, engine, max rpm, sprocket sizes, and tire size then calculates speed for every gear. I'm running 14 front, 42 rear with 18" tires and it says it will do 57.4mph in 6th gear at 6,676rpm. I need new tires kinda bad. the front's are dry rotted and the rears are bald. I'm planning on putting 20" tires on the rear and 21's on the front. May also put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front for more torque. I could really care less about speed. I like wheelies and acceleration. Don't have the room for running wot much. Lot's more to come in the next week or so.

Offline Goat

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 03:36:20 AM »
Well the quad is almost done. Just waiting on a new kick start assembly from OEM-Cycle. Mine works when it feels like and I have ground the teeth a couple times already. It worked great for a few starts and then started not engaging again. Also waiting on the rear brake stay bracket. Got the light wiring figured out after I got it running again. The head lights are MR16 halogens at 55w each and wont get very bright so I'm going to get some LED bulbs for them. Once I find front fenders I will make some brackets to mount them too in roughly the same location. I couldn't get the tie rod ends to come loose so I just upgraded the tie rods to 12mm American Star. Very nice quality and much bigger in diameter than the stock ones. Next on the list is buying a new set of Sedona Bazooka tires for front and rear. Found the best deal at BikeBandit. I will probably get the front fenders with my tax check.

This was by far the easiest swap/build I have done. It turned out very nice. The shock covers were made by me and my friends mom. I used 2 layers of racing nylon and lime green thread. They aren't perfect but they fit good. The factory rear shock was garbage and I don't care for remote reservoir shocks anyway so I went to the atv junkyard and found a 87 Honda 250x shock in great condition for $40. It is 1/2" shorter than the stock shock but fits and works perfect. Just had to drill the mounting holes in the swingarm and linkage a little bigger.

sandblasted the pipe.

Pretty swingarm.

Home made shock covers.

Took it outside to heat cycle the pipe for the paint to cure and figure out the wiring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 03:39:41 AM »
I'm thinking about upgrading the axle so I can get the 4x110 lug pattern instead of this weird 4x130 pattern. We'll see when I have the cash for new wheels.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 03:49:49 AM »
Nice build.
I like the lime green thread the best  :-D
Let us know how it rides..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Goat

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
Finally got it finished! Took it out for a test run and it rides fantastic. Tires are junk but I'll be ordering those tomorrow. Pulls wheelies with ease and is much faster than I expected. I'll have to get my video camera from my buddy tomorrow. Planning on taking it out to my parents house on Sat. I'll get some video then.

Special thanks goes out to Sandblaster (OEM-Cycle) for the parts he has supplied me. Couldn't have done it without him.

If anyone wants some detailed pics just ask and I'll post some up.

When I get my taxes back I'll be getting new black racing front fenders and all the plastic pieces. Rear fenders wont fit quite right with the exhaust on the opposite side as the LT exhaust and don't want to spend the money for something that probably wont work without heavy modification. It would be different if I could find a used set for a decent price but I've been looking for 2 months and haven't found any used ones let alone a cheap set.

Offline Goat

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 07:10:54 AM »
Ordered my new tires today. Got 20x11x8 and 21x7x10 Sedona Bazooka tires. I've read quite a few reviews on them and everyone is happy with how they perform. I wanted more lug than stock tires but didn't want big lugs like a mud tire so the Sedonas were the best deal I could find.

Played on the road a little bit today and got some video with my gf's old camera. We got about 2" of snow last night. The tires I'm currently running are 18x10x8 ITP Holeshots. They are almost bald so I couldn't get any traction. I'm probably going to run the paddle tires at my parents house tomorrow as long as my dad lets me. He hates when I tear up his trails. I'm not allowed to take the 500 over there for that reason lol. He calls it "The Trencher". Anyway... Here is the vids from today.

Tried to embed the videos but it's not working for some reason so here are the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRD2iekN7n8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjSVji2DLA
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:12:53 AM by Goat »

Offline Goat

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
Quad has been doin great. Starts in 2 or 3 kicks every time no matter how cold it is. I bought a couple LED replacement bulbs for my headlights and WOW are they bright! Finally takin the KDX quad and my gf's Quadsport to my parents house Sunday. I'll try to get some videos. I don't think there are any jumps out there anymore which sucks. But at least we have 80 acres to play on instead of the road and small back yard. I ordered a PRM Baja front bumper couple days ago so I can't wait for that to get here. Dropped my tax stuff off to get done so as soon as I get that money back I'll be getting front fenders. Then the quad will be finished at least until I decide to put a K5 engine in it lol.

Offline Goat

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
Got my PRM front bumper today. Looks nice and it's very good quality.

Have decided I'm going to build the little 200 a bit. I have a year around source for 110 octane fuel so I'll be sending my head and cylinder to get milled and ported for the highest compression I can get and still have reliability. Just not sure who I'll be sending it to RB Designs or Fredette Racing Products. Any suggestions?

Here's some pics and video from today:

6w 3 LED bulb in each light.

Pretty PRM Baja Bumper. Fits great and makes it way easier to pick the front up to turn it around.

I'm standing about 100 feet in front of the quad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOCMym9FOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdFUui_GrM

Can't wait to get the front plastics. Once the fenders are bolted on I will be making mounts for the lights. I might get fancy with the mounts we'll see how much room I have to work with once the fenders are on.

Offline Goat

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
I ended up buying a 12 and 13 tooth front sprocket. Tried them both out and I'm liking the 12 for now. May change my mind when we get up to the race track. It's still pretty fast but now there is no clutch work to get a wheelie. Here's a new video. Still haven't found the balance point yet but I'm working on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRqV1ktBFI

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Wow, it sounds like it is running good!
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Goat

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
It's running pretty good. Running 110 octane and Golden Spectro oil. Don't notice any difference in the way it runs between 93 and 110 so until I get the compression bumped up I'm gonna stick with 93 octane. I also have the jets a little rich for winter. When spring comes and it stays above 50 I'll re-jet it where it should be. The weather has been so up and down I can't jet it right. 40* one day and 10* the next. Haven't had more than 2" of snow on the ground at one time. It's been a really weird winter.

Offline Goat

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »
New update! Since the 500 is down until I get a new head gasket, ball joints, and tie rods I figured why not try the kdx with the skis and paddles. We just got about 8 inches of snow last night. That put us somewhere around the 2 ft mark. Didn't think to measure before I tore it all up :P

Here is a 3 minute vid. May post a couple more. Uploading to youtube takes forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ib02iSpcI0

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun.