Author Topic: Bottom end/Transmission issues  (Read 21301 times)

Offline mustangfury

Re: Bottom end/Transmission issues
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
thanks, that clears things up a bit.  i see how the whole mess works.
1993 KX 125

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
I have heard that KDXs have something called the KIPS rattle. Not really sure what it is though. Id imagine that the KXs would make a similar noise since the KIPS valve setup is very similar.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »
Well, if the back side of your clutch basket looks like Torche's, then you might want to check your parts breakdown in your manual or online. Looks like your missing a spacer, thrust washer, ect. That artwork is definetly not supposed to be there...

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
mustangfury.....

I forgot to mention that my pic is of an '87 KX500. I'm sure your's is set up the same way, just smaller parts.

torch

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
This is in regards to the spacer/oil seal question i had earlier.  I played around with it a bit and noticed the oil was not leaking out through the seal but around the oring.  i replaced the o-ring and it still is leaking.  I am thinking maybe the sprocket or spacer or C clip is worn so it does not provide enough pressure to push the spacer against the o-ring to avoid leaking.  The sprocket has a lot of play.  I put a washer in there to stop some of the play and provide a better fit.  My question is, how much play should the drive sprocket have on the drive shaft back and forth and clockwise/counterclockwise?  And, should the spacer be turning with the drive sprocket?  Mine was not turning all the time with the drive sprocket since it was a loose fit.  It turns now with the washer.  I just don't want to go running around with the washer if it might hurt something.  I will wait for a reply before doing so.

Thanks,
Stang
1993 KX 125

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »
I don't have an answer for Stang, but:

My KX5 was leaning up on my old CJ5 idling while I was adjusting the idle screw after installing a fresh jet- a little fat for my altitude, but I sometimes ride much higher elevations than the base.  It acted like it was going to die so I "binged" the throttle.  Meanwhile, it dropped itself into gear, dug a trench, and died most annoyingly...  Now, it is stuck in gear.  I don't know what gear as I can't shift, but stuck none-the-less.

Anyone know why or at least have a starting point for me?  :?

Thanks,
Tim.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:34:34 PM »
Stang, I recently noticed my countershaft  had alot of countertclockwise/ clockwise play on my 250. Switched to a newer sprocket and most was gone. The notches on the inside had become worn before the teeth on the outside. Weird to me. I think those spacers can wear also, and some sprockets are thinner than others. Somethings going on if you can get a washer behind the sprocket.

Good, I have a yz 125 that likes to stick in gear. It always gets into third, and second some how. You can pull the clutch cover and fix it. I have fixed mine several times with the shifter. easiest way was to ride it in the gear its stuck in, and shift up a couple times, then back down, but it doesn't happen that easy. Most likely the parts inside are in a bind in the open or shifting position. Not sure of the right names of parts or terms, but, if you pull the cover and start playing with it, either the 4 pin'd barrel will be caught half way in a cycle, or the flat metal slider with the springs, is stuck extended, or both. It could be something internal, of course, lets hope not. Its likely something simple.

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »

My KX5 was leaning up on my old CJ5 idling while I was adjusting the idle screw after installing a fresh jet- a little fat for my altitude, but I sometimes ride much higher elevations than the base.  It acted like it was going to die so I "binged" the throttle.  Meanwhile, it dropped itself into gear, dug a trench, and died most annoyingly...  Now, it is stuck in gear.  I don't know what gear as I can't shift, but stuck none-the-less.

Thanks,
Tim.

I hate to sound negative but in my experiance it sounds like it gaulded a gear to a shaft. (sorry) :cry:

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »

Thanks,
Tim.

YES!!! Mine did the EXACT same thing, in the EXACT conditions! You will find a seized (5th?) gear on the main shaft.

I talked to an old time Kawi tech about it and he explained to me that when the bike is on its side stand, the gear oil runs to the furthest point away from the gear/shaft that seized. He said he always slightly overfilled the KX500 gear box and NEVER revs one on its side stand...
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »

Thanks,
Tim.

YES!!! Mine did the EXACT same thing, in the EXACT conditions! You will find a seized (5th?) gear on the main shaft.

I talked to an old time Kawi tech about it and he explained to me that when the bike is on its side stand, the gear oil runs to the furthest point away from the gear/shaft that seized. He said he always slightly overfilled the KX500 gear box and NEVER revs one on its side stand...
And just what was your bike doing leaning on my CJ?!!  :-P :-D Just kidding.  Thanks for the help.  If this is the case, what is the fix?  That may seem obvious to you guys but I'm not much of a mechanic.

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
You split the cases and replace the shaft and gear and while your there you replace the mains and seals at least.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »
You split the cases and replace the shaft and gear and while your there you replace the mains and seals at least.

+1. That is what I did. Found a good used trans cluster on fleabay for 100 bucks.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
If it seized to the shaft, I was able to have mine pressed off by my local engine builder. I used the gear, although was never told which gear that seized onto the shaft. Apparently no bushing or anything in there, straight gear to shaft. My question would be - what was in the gearbox? ATF or Oil?

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 01:06:24 AM »
I had a similar problem last time out riding. I went down fairly hard while going over some fairly large logs. I was in an awkward position, pinned under the bike and a log, and was unable to lift the bike off for several minutes until the next rider came along. I obviously killed the engine after a couple seconds, but it sat laying on its left side, hot, for a few minutes. When I got it lifted up, it felt like it was jammed in two gears. Wouldn't budge at all. Eventually, I got it into 5th gear, so was able to ride back to the truck (about 20 miles away), seriously abusing the clutch to ride tight single track trails in 5th gear at well under 10mph. If I tried shifting down, the transmission locked up solid. Rear wheel would skid even with clutch in. But, once I got onto some more open trails and hit some bigger jumps, it all of a sudden freed up. I've been through the gears hundreds of times since and it feels the same as ever.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 02:47:59 AM »
If it seized to the shaft, I was able to have mine pressed off by my local engine builder. I used the gear, although was never told which gear that seized onto the shaft. Apparently no bushing or anything in there, straight gear to shaft. My question would be - what was in the gearbox? ATF or Oil?
After inspection, and this is tough to admit, but not much of anything was in it...  I usually run Type F ATF and change after every other ride, but I don't know what happened as there wasn't much in there.  It leaks around the drain plug, but shouldn't have been that much.  I dunno, I hope it's something simple.  This was actually a year or so ago...