Author Topic: Linkage zerks  (Read 4336 times)

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
Linkage zerks
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »
Am I blind or does the K5 not have them?  If not if taking the linkage apart the only way to grease it up?

TIA-
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline cutting torch

Re: Linkage zerks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »
None on my ''87 KX500, or my'92 KX250, or my'08KLX450, or my buddy's '07KLX300. My '83 KX125 didn't have zerks either.

I know it's green, but it ain't a John Deere! :-D

torch

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
RM,

They don't come with them but can be installed. I put them in my 93 KX250 back in the day but was a PITA to get to the Zerks, also had to remove set screws in the swingarm pivot to install the zerk fittings remove the chain slider to get to the set screws, so you can see it was just as easy to remove the linkage & swingarm. There was a company about 15 or so years ago that made the linkage bolts with zerks installed, but were a bit pricey.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »
Thanks fellas, linkage coming apart tonight then.

Hey Torch, leaving early Sat' morning to ride 717 with two buddies.  Hows 'bout it?  If it's raining I'm gonna hold off and hit LHC or VDR Sunday.  Either Way, it'd be great to ride with ya.

B-
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
Kawasaki has never put zerks on any KX.

I've tried to some sucess, but the major issue is Kawi uses case hardened inner bushings that can't be drilled. So you add zerks, but you will only get lubrication to the outer portion of the bushings.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:14:27 AM »

My 85 KX500 had zerks on the rear linkage bolts.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:44:09 AM »
Synergy makes a lowering bushing for ktm (no linkage) but it also makes a "z bolt" for the bushing kit. It is a bolt drilled and tapped with a zerk fitting. I don't know if they make non ktm parts, but if there was enough demand they may start making stuff for us kxers. I know that they make fork seals for most bikes. But I think that they focus on ktm for the most part.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »
you could take your bolt to a trusted machine shop and have the head end center drilled half way and one side cross drilled. i wouldn't size bigger than maybe 1/8" and have them drill the outer 3/8" deep and have them tap it for a zerk. not sure that this would work but sounds like a worthwhile try. polar-bus stated the reason why an external zerk on the linkage would most likely not work.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:31:53 AM by maddoggy »

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 04:51:55 PM »
Synergy makes a lowering bushing for ktm (no linkage) but it also makes a "z bolt" for the bushing kit. It is a bolt drilled and tapped with a zerk fitting. I don't know if they make non ktm parts, but if there was enough demand they may start making stuff for us kxers. I know that they make fork seals for most bikes. But I think that they focus on ktm for the most part.
zerk is that what you call "grease nipples" in the US?learn something new everyday!!,i think its better talking the linkage apart and regreasing it properly

Offline demographic

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »
I remember reading about someone with a KDX who put grease nipples onto the swingarm of his bike.
The swingarm spindle is hollow and they blokes off one end, put a grease nipple on the other end, drilled through (using a very small drill) the swing arm where the bearing sleeves are then drilled thought the very hard bearing sleeves so the grease that came through the spindle and out of the holes could get through to the bearings.

I've seen the same sort of thing on an old Maico and liked the idea (IIRC the Maico also had grease nipples on the linkage) but never got round to doing it on my KX yet.

I'll give it a go at some point.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 05:05:23 AM »
My sons XR200 comes with grease nipples.  I modded our XR100 and added grease nipples to the linkage, swingarm and steering head.  It could be easily done to the KX linkages.  If the linkage is a 2-bearing type with a gap in the middle you can drill an tap the linkage.  It is a long one-bearing type (swingarm etc) you have to drill the bolt instead.  Tip: take a photo of the linkage in place. Then you can see what angle to put the greas nipple at. Nothing worse than proudly installing your modded linkage, only to find that you can't actually get a greas gun on it due to interference from other parts. Cam.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
Nice job Cam. May be doing that to my K5 this winter when I replace my bearings.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline demographic

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
I found the thread on Dirtridernet about linkage zerks, I don't know if the pictures on the thread will show up to non members but its well worth a look if they do.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=872355#post872355

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
Thats a very nice write-up. thanks for sharing.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 04:05:18 AM »

My 85 KX500 had zerks on the rear linkage bolts.

Now you just jogged my cob-webbed brain. I seem to now remember My '84 KX125 had 2 zerks on the dogbone as well....  GOOD memory !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart