Author Topic: Water pump shaft, seal  (Read 6148 times)

Offline tschisi

Water pump shaft, seal
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
Hi guys

Old topic.
I?m trying to change my water pump seal but can?t push it in without removong the shaft.
So i put the whole case int the oven at 400?, but no success.
How do you change the seal?
Should i just heat up the area around the bearings?

thx
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline KXcam22

Re: Water pump shaft, seal
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:50:26 AM »
I am a bit confused.  To replace the seal you need to pull off the whole clutch cover and remove the impleller shaft.  the seal then presses out easily.  I did not have touse heat of any kind.  It is also a good time to replace the 2 small bearings as the clutch plate residue is hard on them.  They are just APEC7 skateboard bearings.  I got mine at a bearing house for $1 each.  The one in the main engine case can be pulled out with a home made puller.  I used a long 1/4" bolt and filed down 3 sides of the bolt head so it would fit inside the bearing.  A nut and a washer and the lip of the bolt head can be used to pull out the bearing. I have pics in my gallers. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline tschisi

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:56:06 AM »
I just can?t get the shaft out of the bearings/the case.
So i?m far away from using a puller for the 2nd bearing...
The old seal is already removed, but the shaft won?t come out, even not with heat or tenderly plastic hammer treatment.
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:24:31 AM »
When I did mine it was a bit rough to get the shaft out, so I put my clutch cover in the big 20ton shop press and slowly with a small socket pressed it out. If you dont have access to a press take it to a local auto shop and see if someone would easily press it out for ya. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »
Now I understand.  Thats a  tough one - They normally just slide out freely so yours must be galled or seized to the bearing.  If I recall it correctly you have the stud that the impeller bolts to.  You might have to build some type of slide hammer out of scraps that will thread onto the stud and tap it out.  I built a similar one for removing the air valve on the shock, built out of old pipe fittings.  Might work. Soak it is some penatrating oil first.  Gun powder solvent works great too. Pics in my gallery of the puller. Hope this helps. Cam.

PS it could also be possible to knock the bearing balls out with a punch so you could at least get the thing out of the case to work on it. If I recal it is a blind hole (someone correct me if i am wrong) so the balls wont go anywhere. Ca,

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »
If you want to come and visit the Jersey Shore bring your case with you and i will press it out and re-assemble it for ya at my shop..  :-D

Offline tschisi

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:27:41 AM »
Thanks man, but the journey to you would cost me as much as a k5 in good condition  :-D :-D :-D

Please have a look at this picture:
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/630/aaaiq.jpg
Is this really the right seal? It looks very fat?!
Sorry about the pic-quality...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:17:01 AM by tschisi »
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
Yes it is. Cam.

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:02:39 AM »
Yes sir thats the right seal..Hopefully you got it fixed by now..lol