Author Topic: suddenly too rich  (Read 24787 times)

Offline tschisi

Re: suddenly too rich
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
No, i would like to avoid that, because it?s rather expensive in Austria.
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline matzilla

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
wow! crazy to see how this post has grown since i last looked. been busy around here and haven't had time to mess with the bike lately.  haven't done anything with it yet either. too hot to ride around here. they close the woods to us for most of the summer. big fines if you get caught too. now the hunters are out there, so soon i will be back out there.

i did think of something though. my bike ran great until i started playing with my jetting. i may have put my slow jet in a bit too tight at first. ever since i can't get the pilot lean enough. i had the pilot so lean it worried me, and it was better, but still not right. so i may just keep trying. any thoughts? did i trash my carb?

Offline tschisi

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2010, 03:36:07 AM »
Things getting worse and worse.

New piston rings inside.
I?ve let an old wise guy have a look at the cylinder and piston and he said they are both ok.

Now i can start it with starter spay, but once it?s burnt, the engine stalls, no chance to keep it running.
New measurement: 90psi

:?   :-(
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline BDI

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
This should be easy to sort out  :? Have you leak tested the engine?
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline tschisi

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
I got my coolant into the crank case because of a leaky head gasket.
Tried to start very often in this condition.
The coolant was clear and free of oil, so i guess the seals are ok?!
I also had the top end removed after replacing the gasket (for the piston ring change), with several start-tries in between, and the case was free of oil.

The next question is if the engine could have only 100psi without major visible damages on cylinder or piston?!

Piston:
http://img42.imageshack.us/i/37116426.jpg/
http://img823.imageshack.us/i/43981050.jpg/

Cylinder:
http://img814.imageshack.us/i/38083025.jpg/
http://img641.imageshack.us/i/67710335.jpg/

The only things that keeps me fron replating is the chance that the compression tester is defective and my cdi too.
Against that stands that it runs/ran with starter spray...
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »

The next question is if the engine could have only 100psi without major visible damages on cylinder or piston?!

What if the head gasket still leaks? Can't imagine how you came to use starter fluid. Probably a bad idea. When head gaskets leak, they pop and hesitate a bunch, barely run. If you run the motor alot, it will start looking like it got beat with a ball peen hammer in there. I would start measuring cylinder, piston and their clearances. Pay attention to rings and top of cylinder and gasket. You can usually find issues with a keen eye like where the gasket is leaking, or where the cylinder has egg-shaped itself, or rings stuck in the piston. If it won't start you need to take it apart anyway. Time to order more top-end gaskets and don't bother reassembling until you find what doesn't belong. 90 psi is a problem.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »

What if the head gasket still leaks? Can't imagine how you came to use starter fluid. Probably a bad idea. When head gaskets leak, they pop and hesitate a bunch, barely run. If you run the motor alot, it will start looking like it got beat with a ball peen hammer in there. I would start measuring cylinder, piston and their clearances. Pay attention to rings and top of cylinder and gasket. You can usually find issues with a keen eye like where the gasket is leaking, or where the cylinder has egg-shaped itself, or rings stuck in the piston. If it won't start you need to take it apart anyway. Time to order more top-end gaskets and don't bother reassembling until you find what doesn't belong. 90 psi is a problem.

I am with BDI on this one. If you do a leakdown test it would show a leaking head gasket (or whatever else needs attention) & stop the assuming its only low compression because of a loose topend.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline BDI

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2010, 04:10:46 AM »
I agree with the old guy. I would like to add if you are not sure about your gauge barrow a couple from some other buddies to make a comparison to yours. If you just barrow one then you will be scratching your head wondering who's gauge is right but if you have three and two of them say the same thing,then well. or just go buy a brand new gauge and screw it on your comp tester and check all your O rings. also week spark will make the bike run just like it does when it's to rich.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2010, 05:56:24 AM »
these motors will run on 90psi. But the problems is your starting it with fluid. most of the time that means you have a big air leak or carb problems. Is it easy to kick over. I would add 2 oz. off oil down the spark plug hole when the piston is at TDC and see if the compression goes up when kicking it over with the compression gauge hooked up.

Offline tschisi

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »
I also heard that they should run with 90psi, although this is not a good value, but it doesn?t.  :-(

I checked everything x-times, the whole intake section for leaks, reeds (vforce and stock), jetting with chart, float, ohm-readings (also had a defective ignition coil, so it would be possible that it did damage to my cdi), ...

I have very much resistance on the kicker, but i heard this can be an indication ow low compression too?!

The surfaces of cylinder and head, where the head gasket is, look good and the gasket is new.
I also don?t lose coolant any more, and if i drain it it is clear.

Well, nothing but suggestion.
I will look for a second compression tester or another cdi to check.
Then thinking about splitting or re-plating.  :x
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline BDI

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »
Wanna sell it?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline tschisi

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2010, 06:35:36 PM »
Yes, the market-price of metal is not too bad at the moment!   :-D :-D :-D
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline tschisi

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:41 AM »
Hi!

I just got my cylinder back from the re-plating.
The surface looks very rough:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6223/bild003q.jpg

I?m wondering if they just honed it without re-plating, but i also heard worn coatings have a look of shiny yellow?
Would you say that cylinder looks re-plated?
(Unfortunately i don?t have measurement values...)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:19:13 AM by tschisi »
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Cylinder looks fine. The cross hatch is supposed to be there. It holds oil for lubricating the piston and rings. Put in a new piston & rings and try it out.

Looks like new plating to me. Are the gouges/scratches still there on the intake side close to the top of the cylinder? http://img814.imageshack.us/i/38083025.jpg/
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline tschisi

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
No they aren?t:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4737/bild001ou.jpg

I?ll put the old piston with new rings in for testing.
Would you say a compression test after the assembly, when the parts are lubricated with the 2-stroke oil, is meaningful?
Or would the compression be always good because of the thick oil?
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)