Author Topic: suddenly too rich  (Read 24761 times)

Offline matzilla

suddenly too rich
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
ok, my bike was running awesome just the other day with a 62 pilot 2 turns on the air screw 3rd clip on a CEJ needle and 180 main. then i went to ride it the next day and it is so rich all over that it will barely run. i have gone down one jet at a time to a 55 and it is still way to rich on the pilot circuit. loads up bad then clears out with some throttle. it has a fresh B8EG plug and a clean and lightly oiled k/n filter. i used starting fluid spray to check for vacuum leaks, but it is acting more like it isn't getting enough air. i am wondering if i should be looking at my Vforce reeds. any other possibilities? it is only about 10 degrees warmer than when it was running perfect. thanks in advance for your help.

Offline ktmdude

Re: suddenly too rich
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
I know its a long shot but when you cleaned the air filter did you put a rag in the intake to keep out dirt, and leave it in? I did it the other day. I even taught to my self "take the rag out", I was doing two bikes, took out the first one, got distracted and left the 2nd. I remembered about 20min later and went in after it. Its probably not your problem but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Offline matzilla

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
no rags. thanks

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Hum... Head scratcher.
Ok I got another thought, maybe the air passages in your carb are clogged with dirt. I would remove the carb. Remove the jets, clean everything real good with carb cleaner and compressed air. Also check to see that your slide is closing all the way. I would install your original jet specs. and see what happens. When the carb is off it couldn't hurt to give the reeds a look. I don't think that's it, but it is right there.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
Check silencer. Any obstruction in there causes power issues quickly. Your main is a 180? I would also clean jets and float bowl to rule that out. You might find something when you're looking in there.

Offline matzilla

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:37:08 AM »
when it started doing this and i started looking at jetting i pullud the carb apart and cleaned it and cleaned the jets. slide closes all the way too. i am going to tear it out again tonight and dismantle the carb and soak it in the chem dip. while i'm there i"ll pull the reeds and inspect them too. i wonder if filter oil could get into the pilot air circuit and clog it partially making the pilot rich by not mixing right. frustrating having to work all day first when this is on my mind.

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »
The filter oil could be it. Good luck

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:57:13 AM »
try the vent tube and ck the fly wheel  to see if it sheared the keyway
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline dave916

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:08:06 AM »
check  the choke circut on carb,  remove the choke plunger to clean, could just be little dirt under the plunger which make it run rich ,

Offline matzilla

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 07:11:49 AM »
funny you mention the vent tube. the only other change i have made was routing the bowl vents up to the air box. is it possible for this to affect float levels or create some kind of pressure drop in the bowl?

Offline fluffy

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »
put vent tubes where they belong,if not the problem check float level. sounds like something simple. 180 main,sounds big.

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »
What kind of fuel?

I have had the back east fuel (with all the corn in it) swell the needle and seat and cause it to not seal properly.  Causing exactly what you described.  Can't tell by looking at em.

An external fuel level check (see clymer manual) will tell you alot

Offline matzilla

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
sunoco 110 leaded race gas. 40 to 1 with dumonde tech full synthetic

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »
my vent tubes got plugged a couple years ago at st. anthony with oily sand. got worse every ride till it just ran like crap. totally plugged a couple tubes. i found the problem and got new lines from ace hardware and everything went back to normal.

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »
that is crazy.. i have never seen that..this is one of those once in a lifetime things that you will never forget..lol