Author Topic: DIY Powdercoating  (Read 2859 times)

Offline alward25

DIY Powdercoating
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:13:54 AM »
I bought my own powder coating gun and some powder and have been going crazy. One limitation is oven size.  Since it is non-toxic clean up is easy and using your wife's oven is safe, as long as it is ok with her. It does not smell at all while in the oven and is a lot faster than paint. I do not even need to talk about durability. I will post more photos too.  I just did some measuring and I think the swingarm is next.
"Let there be light"

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: DIY Powdercoating
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:17:41 AM »
NICE! looking good. your oven must be huge to fit that main frame inside. what brand is the system you purchased?

Offline Rd

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:31:41 AM »
Looks great. What powdercoating kit did you purchase? I have been playing with the Harbour freight setup. I don't have a big oven yet.
Roger

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:29:07 AM »
More parts and pics. I have not done my frame yet, just my subframe and the frame is just painted with black poly. I bought a kit at Sears on sale for $45 and powder is between $7 and $24 a pound and one lb does about 40 sq ft. I am going to upgrade and buy and Eastwood gun, $150 on ebay.  If it can fit in a kitchen oven it is happening!!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:47:53 AM by alward25 »
"Let there be light"

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
Al those parts look great, matter of fact your whole project looks like it's gonna be very cool...
  I was wondering how well the home shop coating worked out and now you convinced me. 
I have that on my "To Get" list now too....
   I certainly hope things turn around in this country or else my "To Get" list is just gonna be my "Bucket List"  Dooh!
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
I did my skid plate too and after it cooled, took a 4lb ball peen and whacked the crap out of it.  It dented the coating, but no chipping or cracking.

Al those parts look great, matter of fact your whole project looks like it's gonna be very cool...
  I was wondering how well the home shop coating worked out and now you convinced me. 
I have that on my "To Get" list now too....
   I certainly hope things turn around in this country or else my "To Get" list is just gonna be my "Bucket List"  Dooh!
  Tuck\o/
"Let there be light"

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:42:35 AM »
I never really looked into it but that is cheap enough I'd go buy it. Looks excellent Alward25. Thanks for posting this. I'm sick of trying to find a place close enough to get my stuff done. Keep up the good work.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.