Author Topic: output shaft  (Read 3921 times)

Offline JanBros

output shaft
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:02:18 PM »
I have (probably) a '85 K5 engine, with a nut to lock the sprocket on the output shaft off the transmission.

but it's thread ain't very good anymore. Is the shaft interchangeable with the later versions with the circlips ?

I looked at some partnumbers, and both use the same bearrings, collar between bearring and sprocket and first gear. So I presume it will fit. but all the other 4 gears are different (all the gears that slide over the toothed part off the shaft). So will my gears fit the newer shaft, or do they have different toothing ?

Offline cutting torch

Re: output shaft
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09:27 PM »
I have an '87 and a '94, both of which are apart right now. My '87 has the nut, too.

I can check it after work today if you don't find out by then.

torch

Offline JanBros

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:23 AM »
I have an '87 and a '94, both of which are apart right now. My '87 has the nut, too.

I can check it after work today if you don't find out by then.

torch

local dealer didn't know either, so no, I didn't found out yet .

so yes please ... :-D

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
Not sure if the newer shaft is compatible. I do know 83-87 are the same internal trans parts if that helps at all.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »
i have found that the 87 shaft has a different part # than 88-94. check bike bandit for part #. iuse them alot. also a m a members get 15% discount.

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
The 85 and 87 have different part #'s for the output shaft, buuuuuut......They could be dimensionally the same. The difference could be as simple as a difference in heat-treating method.

Well, I compared my 87 and 94 shafts. They don't match! Oh, wait. You knew that already.

Besides the sprocket retention method, there are some differences, but I will tell you what is the same first:

Shaft splines.
Shaft length from step at sprocket end to the clutch end.
Shaft diameter at all bearing and non splined gear contact points.
Gear thickness at shaft.

Now for the differences..... The spacing between the snap ring grooves. That is all for the shaft. (except for what you already knew!)

It seems that Kawi made an update. On the 87, the gears that were retained to the shaft with snap rings had plain snap rings with tabbed thrust washers. On the 94, they did away with the tabbed washers, and went with tabbed snap rings. Getting rid of the washers subtracted .040", and since the gears are still the same width, they moved the grooves on the shaft closer together to make up the difference. The same is true with washers (minus the tabs) for the clutch side of the gear closest to the sprocket, and both sides of the kick idler gear.

Some pics: (87 on top, 94 on bottom)

In this pic, second gear in from top right is the tabbed washer. Center gear at bottom has the tabbed snap ring sitting on it:

Closer view of snap ring groove spacing:

Imo, I would do the 89-04 shaft, but make sure you get all of the snap rings that go on that shaft. If I was doing this, I would be completely comfortable with it.

BTW, you owe me a six-pack now! :-D

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
Translation alert for different terms:

Your circlips are my snap rings.

Since I have wasted tons of time talking with someone about the same thing that we were using different terms for, a translation was in order. I don't care what each of us call it, as long as both of us understand what itis.

torch

Offline JanBros

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
tnx a lot man  8-)

I'll be comfortable with it to  :-D

If I'm ever near Denver, I'll pop in and give you your six-pack  :mrgreen:

Offline JanBros

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:42:29 AM »
got myself a shaft this WE   :-)  :

it's exactly like you said Torch  8-), tnx again !

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »
Right on! Glad I could help.

torch

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
I have (probably) a '85 K5 engine, with a nut to lock the sprocket on the output shaft off the transmission.

but it's thread ain't very good anymore. Is the shaft interchangeable with the later versions with the circlips ?

I looked at some partnumbers, and both use the same bearrings, collar between bearring and sprocket and first gear. So I presume it will fit. but all the other 4 gears are different (all the gears that slide over the toothed part off the shaft). So will my gears fit the newer shaft, or do they have different toothing ?
cant you get a new shaft through a dealer?,i know i got a new one for my 94 KX250 a few years ago because some one had not bothered to replace the front sprocket when it was worn out and it flogged out the main shaft,made a new sprocket a real sloppy fit but if it had been held on by a nut it would of been fine and if properly looked main shaft will last forever, i would rather have a nut holding on the front sprocket than a c clip!!it allows movement with a c clip, god knows why they went that way,goodluck

Offline don46

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
motor parts for the k5 from 88 on back are getting really difficult to come by.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come