Author Topic: Gas Leak  (Read 5325 times)

Offline runabout

Gas Leak
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
I need some help quick guys... going out sun I hope but have a fuel leak
the tank is leaking at the shutoff and what is worse.. it is coming from the threaded in tank portion I tried two additional o-rings around the 10mm but the fuel keeps coming through the bolt.... the original center 0-ring is intact...
how do I fix this argh
1988 KX 500 stock tank fuel shut off
is it possible to fix this threaded portion
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:02:28 PM by runabout »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Gas Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »
Hey Run,
 Have you tried teflon (plumbers tape) on the threads of the bolts?
 The only other quickie I can think of is to make a gasket that covers the whole footprint of the shut off valve.
   I would either try sheet rubber/cork or an old innertube. cut it open and trace the outline.  cut the holes for the fuel inlet and bolts just big enough to get the pipe and bolts through.
   :|  I'm afraid I don't know off hand if you can find any fuel resistant sealer and spread it around the mounting surfaces and bolts.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline runabout

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
Tried the Teff tape the gas ate it
I tried gasket but the fuel traveled down the threads and out at the bolt head
Regards

Offline runabout

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
If I thread the 10mm bolt in and pull out the cup that receives the bolt what will I find????
can I then re-seal the area and re-install the threaded cup or will the tank be wasted???
I need to ride!!!!!!!!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
Check into a semi drying gasket sealer (liquid gasket). You can get it just about anywhere that sells automotive stuff like oil, oil, fuel, and air filters. It is rather thick and doesn't dry hard. It is also resistant to all automotive fluids. Hope this helps.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
Run,
 I think you are asking about the insert in the plastic.   If I understand what your telling me the brass insert in the tank has broken loose and is either spinning or is stripped.
   I will find something for you and report back as soon as I can.
Tuck\o/

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4674
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:25:46 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline runabout

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »
Thanks for the info guys
I hope that when I pull the insert out of the tank I find that Kawasaki
molded the tank around the insert and did not just push the insert into an open area
ie when the insert comes out I hope I am not looking straight into the tank...
a plastic cup in there would be so welcomed... would give me more to seal against
Thanks again guys
R-about

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:43:58 AM »
Runabout
  I consider myself a master at patching things that should not be fixed and I love a challenge.  Most normal sane people would throw that tank away and buy a used one, but not me.  What I would try is to make two gaskets that match the pattern of the fuel shut off valve, then I would cut a piece of sheet metal to the exact pattern of that gasket, I would weld two 6mm bolts in the sheet metal. ( if they use a 10mm wrench the threads are 6mm-1.0 thread pitch)  I would place the sheet metal and one gasket inside the tank after preparing the tank, then place one gasket and the fuel valve on the outside of the tank and using two 6mm nuts ( again a 10 mm wrench is needed)tighten and test for leaks.   You may have to modify the instructions to suit the situation, but I think you will understand the theory that I am using.
 I have patched much more complex things than this, but the double gasket on the plastic tank has always worked great every time I have used it.
  Hope this helps. John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
That is an excellent idea Johnniespeed. I too try to fix everything even if it shouldn't be. We has good imaginations lol :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »
I've never done it myself, but I have heard of people repairing loose inserts with a soldering gun. Just hold the soldering gun on the brass insert until it heats up enough to melt the plastic around it.

Offline don46

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »
Runabout
  I consider myself a master at patching things that should not be fixed and I love a challenge.  Most normal sane people would throw that tank away and buy a used one, but not me.  What I would try is to make two gaskets that match the pattern of the fuel shut off valve, then I would cut a piece of sheet metal to the exact pattern of that gasket, I would weld two 6mm bolts in the sheet metal. ( if they use a 10mm wrench the threads are 6mm-1.0 thread pitch)  I would place the sheet metal and one gasket inside the tank after preparing the tank, then place one gasket and the fuel valve on the outside of the tank and using two 6mm nuts ( again a 10 mm wrench is needed)tighten and test for leaks.   You may have to modify the instructions to suit the situation, but I think you will understand the theory that I am using.
 I have patched much more complex things than this, but the double gasket on the plastic tank has always worked great every time I have used it.
  Hope this helps. John

So, ho do you get the sheetmetal/gasket in the tank? are you going to remove the nutserts and drill them out to fit your sheetmetal and gasket? What if the tank isn't flat where the sheet metal goes? While I'm all in favor of fixing anything and everything, I'm also a realist, and rather than have a good day of riding ruined because my tank was leaking, or worse yet get burned because of it, I would find another tank.

What I find interesting is the fact that the tank is leaking out od the threads, the nutserts are blind bottom and are formed in the tank so if it the bolt gets tight I would find it hard to believe that the tank is damaged, are you sure the valve doesn't have a crack allowing fuel to run down the bolt making it look like its leaking from the bolt.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline runabout

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
Don that is a good question
The tank has heat damage in the area of the petcock
When close CSI from inside the tank the heat was enough to distort the
plastic nipple that is formed to hold the insert...
I plugged all old holes and mounted the petcock in new location
approx 1/4 inch from old location and no leaks now
The interesting thing is that the outside of the tank has min heat distortion
but the inside that holds the insert looks bad (big/swollen) gum drop look to it and that is why it was leaking domw the bolt
Regards

Offline blueoval

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Did you take any pictures of the tank so I could get a visual?
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline runabout

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »
I did not take any pics of the bike but I can...
do you still want to see even though it is fixed...?
My JB weld is not so purdy so of course everyone will want to see that  :-o
Regards

Offline matzilla

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 05:20:09 AM »
you could try some motoseal. it is for outing cases together. made to be in contact with gas and could seal it right up. do the whole base of the petcock. let it dry 24 hours before adding fuel.