Author Topic: Hard Steering and Cables  (Read 2353 times)

NastyNick

Hard Steering and Cables
« on: March 14, 2004, 04:47:49 PM »
I am just about finished get my k5 back together and I noticed the steering is really tough to turn.  I got new bearings and races in, I am pretty sure that I got the steering stem nut or the goofy shaped nut under the top tripple clamp (lock collar?) too tight, but didn't think you could  Is there such a thing?  It's not getting hung up on a cable or anything like that.

Speaking of cables:  How do you route the cables?
Right now I have the following routes:

Throttle: Comes off the throttle, behind the number plate, right of the frame between frame and right rad, over the top of the engine to the left side (by head stay brackets) and into the carb.

Kill Switch:  Down the bars from the left side behind the number plate, between the right radiator and frame, then grounded on the left bolt at the coil.

Clutch:  Not installed yet, but was going to follow the instructions post on this site for re-routing the MP Terminator to get better pull.

The only one that is bothering me is the throttle.

Anybody got any pictures?

NastyNick

Hard Steering and Cables
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 03:12:08 AM »
never mind on the steering thing.  I figured out that the "locking collar" was too tight.

Rick

Hard Steering and Cables
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 05:17:42 AM »
Before steering dampeners, tightening the head nut was the method used by many desert racers to increase stability.  Tough to turn, and wore out bearings, but sure helped on stability.

On the throttle routing, as the cable comes around the head tube from behind the number plate, route it over the front rubber tank mount and right along the down tube.  This keeps it free from harm and gives it a straight shot towards the carb.  The kill switch wire follows the same routing.

Rick

NastyNick

Hard Steering and Cables
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 08:14:25 AM »
thanks Rick!

kmac

Hard Steering and Cables
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 09:32:17 AM »
Re clutch-cable routing. What instructions post are youu referring to, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

husqrider

Hard Steering and Cables
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 09:41:05 AM »
do a forum search for Magura Hydraulic Clutch and look at Ricks post
IT WORKS!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Hard Steering and Cables
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 09:41:59 AM »