Author Topic: KX500PF  (Read 37264 times)

Offline BDI

Re: KX500PF
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 04:30:25 AM »
I wonder if my head stay will work on there :? I bet it will. I just found the patterns the other day for making mine. I could post pictures of the patterns but they would not be actual size. I could copy them and fax it to you if you would like torch. I'm sure you don't really need it but it may help speed up the process. My stay could be made out of billet, wouldn't that be sweet.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:51:53 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 05:25:21 AM »
I wonder if my head stay will work on there :? I bet it will. I just found the patterns the other day for making mine. I could post pictures of the patterns but they would not be actual size. I could copy them and fax it to you if you would like torch. I'm sure you don't really need it but it may help speed up the process. My stay could be made out of billet, wouldn't that be sweet.

I'm currently working with Jfab to make a mount for this application, but I would still like to see the pattern for your mount. Getting more ideas never hurts!

torch

Offline BDI

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »
Cool J-fab will get it sorted out fast I'm sure of that.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »
I am interested in as many mount ideas as well. Since everyone talked me into building one of these bad lads. :-D
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 04:47:43 AM »

A billet head stay would be awesome, might keep me from breaking them every 10 or so hours lol.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 04:51:14 AM »
Now for the cooling of the beast.....

The 500 has a series cooling circuit, and the 250 is a parallel cooling circuit. I need to use the 250 system since it fits the chassis (just like stock!:busted:). I'll describe how each system flows, starting at the water pump inlet.

500:

Water pump inlet, to wp outlet, to right side of jug, up through jug to head, out of head on the left side, to bottom of left rad, from top of left rad to top of right rad, from bottom of right rad back to the water pump inlet. This circuit is in series since the coolant flows through one radiator, then flows through the other.

250:

Water pump inlet, to wp outlet, to rear side of jug, up through jug to head, out of head on the top rear WITH TWO OUTLETS going to the top of each rad, through both rads to the bottom of both rads, and back to the water pump inlet. This is parallel since the coolant flows through both radiators at the same time.

Just in case anyone thinks I am belittling them by spelling out the differences between series and parallel, remember that there are some people that just never knew this. It's for thier benefit. So :p.

Next post has pics!

torch

Torch, why can't you just use the 250 cooling system?  Are you using an older 500 engine (IE pre 89?)  I ask because on my 01frame/ 92eng conversion I just used the 250 radiators and hooked them up where they fit, and havn't had any cooling issues . . .under normal conditions that is. 
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
Now for the cooling of the beast.....

The 500 has a series cooling circuit, and the 250 is a parallel cooling circuit. I need to use the 250 system since it fits the chassis (just like stock!:busted:). I'll describe how each system flows, starting at the water pump inlet.

500:

Water pump inlet, to wp outlet, to right side of jug, up through jug to head, out of head on the left side, to bottom of left rad, from top of left rad to top of right rad, from bottom of right rad back to the water pump inlet. This circuit is in series since the coolant flows through one radiator, then flows through the other.

250:

Water pump inlet, to wp outlet, to rear side of jug, up through jug to head, out of head on the top rear WITH TWO OUTLETS going to the top of each rad, through both rads to the bottom of both rads, and back to the water pump inlet. This is parallel since the coolant flows through both radiators at the same time.

Just in case anyone thinks I am belittling them by spelling out the differences between series and parallel, remember that there are some people that just never knew this. It's for thier benefit. So :p.

Next post has pics!

torch

Torch, why can't you just use the 250 cooling system?  Are you using an older 500 engine (IE pre 89?)  I ask because on my 01frame/ 92eng conversion I just used the 250 radiators and hooked them up where they fit, and havn't had any cooling issues . . .under normal conditions that is. 

I can't use the 250 system, just the radiators and most of the plumbing. I'll need to make a few parts, but I think the 250 radiators will do just fine.

torch

Offline cutting torch

KXer, reread this.
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
Pics! Whoooo!

The water pump inlet manifold from the 250 is wider than the 500, from bolt-to-bolt....

So, I welded up the holes to relocate them:

Then, I milled and drilled: Note: KX500 heads seem to be a purer alloy than KX250 water manifolds, based on the way they weld. I need to fix these pits:

In order to move the bolt holes in, I needed a smaller bolt head. Hello, Allen!

The factory bolt was too fat:

Here are pics of how things will lay out. I still need to make a wye to split the coolant between the radiators for the parallel arrangement I want. That wye will split the coolant flow in half between the head and the top of each radiator.

torch

Offline junk man

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
hey torch any updates

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
There is now....

The headstay that would not work...

JFAB made this, but it did not turn out to work for my bike.

So, we worked together to come up with this headstay:

He laser-cut the chromoly parts based on what I needed, and I modified and welded up the pieces as needed for my build.

It all worked out well.

torch

Offline Marco810

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »
I did the same thing and i had the bike and engine right in front of me... :-P Good to see your back on track. this and a few other sfc topics is what inspired mine