Author Topic: KX500PF  (Read 37256 times)

Offline junk man

Re: KX500PF
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
torch how is your bike coming along

JM

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
It's coming, but slowing down a bit. I just got JFAB's headstay, so I'll be adding that part to this write-up soon. Right now, I don't even know if it will work. It won't go over the head studs with the engine bolted into the frame. I'll have to shift some things around and see how it goes.

I just got home tonight from a 5 day riding trip to see that the headstay had arrived. I tried to look at fit, and it is not going onto the head as things sit right now. I started to take things apart to see if I could wiggle it in there, but I stopped. I need to relax a bit, wash my grubby self, and go to bed. I don't need to work on it now.

torch

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
How important is it to use a headstay? What would happen if you just used the three attachment points on the cases? Does the chassis flex too much without it, or do the lower mount holes wear? Parts cracking?

Offline junk man

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
I was looking at the welded mount and it looked like it would hit the frame
but the D.I.Y kit could work. will the base plate fit the head ? I copied BDI headstay
it picks up five studs good idea

well good luck   JM
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:01:43 PM by junk man »

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 02:13:03 AM »
When looking at the left side, the counter sprocket turns counter clock wise and the engine wants to turn clock wise.  The head stay is the main component stopping/holding the engine in place.  You can't imagine how much engineering went into the KX500. 
If it came stock on the bike,  it's there for a reason.  They only added items that make the bike fast and/or win races.  Every thing left over they sold to Suzuki.
KX 500 Rider

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
Unfortunately, they never added a perimeter frame. :x

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
I was looking at the welded mount and it looked like it would hit the frame
but the D.I.Y kit could work. will the base plate fit the head ? I copied BDI headstay
it picks up five studs good idea

well good luck   JM

Well, it does hit the frame:

That is with the motor on just the bottom mount bolt, and tilted back. As you can see, the front mount is not aligned.

On another note, the headstay fits over the studs like a glove. It's a nice piece, but it just won't work on a '92 frame. The mount bolt just needs to be higher and more rearward.

I'll need to talk to Jfab.

torch

Offline junk man

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »
torch if you swap it with the kit (non welded) for 19.95 and build off it
see if they will send some extra plate (scraps)

I think Kawasaki was going to discontinue the kx500 so why update it  they made good money selling a 80's frame with 90's forks until 2004

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 07:50:19 AM »
Your project looks good.  Greatest thing about this site is everyone sharing info, ideas and the how, where and what they went through to finish a project.       Wasn't making fun of you or anyone else with an Auto clutch.   Was just trying to make the point that with technology, a lot of the riding skill is really being taken out of the equation.    My other point was simply that the Auto clutch can be, hard on the trans.   Not in every case.    I still laugh at guys I LOCALLY ride with that have them.   After all without some humor and joking added in with riding, how could riding alone supply enough fun. :lol:    Main reason we joke with them is many still fall down and have trouble in the technical and tougher sections.      Anyways keep up the project.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
hi every body ,i am new to the site from the U.K . love the write ups on the k5/kx250 hybrids. i am looking to do 1 my self . i have the 500 engine (well the complete bike) the chassis is being broken on ebay if any one needs anything. just trying to decide what year 250 chassis to use. it will be steel. i like the 99 - 02 its just finding a good one being so old, the 03 is a bad idea from what i read on here. so its most likly to be the 04 on. am i right in say that 04 was the same as the 08 , is this an easy 1 to do. would any of the uk users no where i can source a rolling chassis. i figured there should be a few about as i know the gokarters use the engines. any help info or advice would be greatly recieved
best regards to all
john

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »
I talked to JFab, and he is taking care of me. We are going to do some collaboration on a headstay that will work for my combo, and hopefully for many others.

Stay tuned, but be patient. I have an out-of-state business trip, and an out-of-state riding trip in the next three weeks.

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
Now for the cooling of the beast.....

The 500 has a series cooling circuit, and the 250 is a parallel cooling circuit. I need to use the 250 system since it fits the chassis (just like stock!:busted:). I'll describe how each system flows, starting at the water pump inlet.

500:

Water pump inlet, to wp outlet, to right side of jug, up through jug to head, out of head on the left side, to bottom of left rad, from top of left rad to top of right rad, from bottom of right rad back to the water pump inlet. This circuit is in series since the coolant flows through one radiator, then flows through the other.

250:

Water pump inlet, to wp outlet, to rear side of jug, up through jug to head, out of head on the top rear WITH TWO OUTLETS going to the top of each rad, through both rads to the bottom of both rads, and back to the water pump inlet. This is parallel since the coolant flows through both radiators at the same time.

Just in case anyone thinks I am belittling them by spelling out the differences between series and parallel, remember that there are some people that just never knew this. It's for thier benefit. So :p.

Next post has pics!

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
Pics! Whoooo!

The water pump inlet manifold from the 250 is wider than the 500, from bolt-to-bolt....

So, I welded up the holes to relocate them:

Then, I milled and drilled: Note: KX500 heads seem to be a purer alloy than KX250 water manifolds, based on the way they weld. I need to fix these pits:

In order to move the bolt holes in, I needed a smaller bolt head. Hello, Allen!

The factory bolt was too fat:

Here are pics of how things will lay out. I still need to make a wye to split the coolant between the radiators for the parallel arrangement I want. That wye will split the coolant flow in half between the head and the top of each radiator.

torch
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:26:24 AM by cutting torch »

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
SWEET!! :-o

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
Excellent work. Looking good.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.