Author Topic: KX500PF  (Read 37262 times)

Offline cutting torch

Re: KX500PF
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »
I got the tank done. At least I hope so, since I don't know what else will get in the way.

I used a heat gun to get it to about 250 degrees, then used my drill press as an arbor press with a bungee cord to hold it. The thing between the drill press and the tank is the ball from a 2 1/2 inch valve.

This is the clearance I got:

It's not the 1/2 inch I wanted, but it looks good to me.

torch

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
Very innovative idea,  good work.
KX 500 Rider

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
I did more stuff today. I finally started tearing down the chassis donor bike:

I trial fitted the rad valve, carb, airbox, and subframe. All of it fit like the factory made it!

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
I did other things today as well, but they are in a different thread:

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7396.msg57047/topicseen.html#new

torch

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »
Very sweet Torch.  The one thing I would suggest looking into is the Revloc as opposed to the Rekluse.  I know three people (one of which is a K5) that have it and have had zero issues and love it to death.  All three of them had the Rekluse pro prior to this; they said it?s hands down better.  Look into the Dyna Ring http://www.revloc.com/dirt/dyna-ring.html  You still have 100% use of the clutch if you ever have the urge to grab & utilize it ;-)

Oh, and it's cheaper too; http://www.revloc.com/dirt.html 

No get her finished so we can get out and twist a grip!

B-
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:40:07 PM by RM_Rider14 »
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline WRXBRUMBY

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »
RM this is freaky man???? I saw this thing tonight in my travels and came here tonight to post that very link and you beat me to it.

One of the biggest coincidences I have ever experienced hehehehehe.

Yeah torch check it out, seeing as though Revloc know their way around a K5 already they may be able to accommodate you. After briefly checking out this link and others, there is not much out about these, so early days yet on the Dyna Ring. The vid over lay didn?t inspire too much confidence hehehe but I am sure it is a good product. I would be very keen to find out just how it works and if it has the same clamping pressure as other Auto clutches on the market especially for the big K5.

Other than that it is hard to fault with that bump starting option.

Keep up the good work bud

Cheers

Dan

P.S

RM did I mention that this was freaky :evil:?
2008 FE650 (KX500 but with manners and E-Start)
2003 KX500 Scares me! (Reminded me I couldn’t ride well)
1997 TE610 Arm chair! (Made me think I could ride)
2000 CT110 Fun!
1986 KDX200 SOLD! (But looking for another)
1970 AG100 Still makes me 😀

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
Thanks for the link, RM.

Since I live close to Revloc, I went over to thier place today to have a look at the dyna ring. I talked to Alan, who I assume is the proprieter of Revloc.

The dyna ring is basicly a thick friction plate with all the balls inside of it. When you spin it, it gets thicker and engages your clutch. Normal adjustment for it is to have your clutch cable adjusted pretty tight, to hold the pressure plate off of the clutch pack to get a certain amount of clearance. When you spin up the dyna ring, it takes up that clearance and engages the clutch.

In order to bump start, you have to loosen your clutch cable so it lets your pressure plate clamp down on the pack.

Pretty simple, really.

I also found out that the regular auto clutch they make works just like the Rekluse pro, with all of the same adjustability. And, since the KX500 was the first bike that Revloc made the auto clutch for, they are available. They also fit under the stock clutch cover!

torch

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:35 AM »
  Oh yea, I forgot to mention they're in our back yard ;-)  I just ordered the Dyna Ring myself.  Can't wait!

WRX, yea that is freaky!  Great minds think alike....

Thanks for the link, RM.

Since I live close to Revloc, I went over to thier place today to have a look at the dyna ring. I talked to Alan, who I assume is the proprieter of Revloc.

The dyna ring is basicly a thick friction plate with all the balls inside of it. When you spin it, it gets thicker and engages your clutch. Normal adjustment for it is to have your clutch cable adjusted pretty tight, to hold the pressure plate off of the clutch pack to get a certain amount of clearance. When you spin up the dyna ring, it takes up that clearance and engages the clutch.

In order to bump start, you have to loosen your clutch cable so it lets your pressure plate clamp down on the pack.

Pretty simple, really.

I also found out that the regular auto clutch they make works just like the Rekluse pro, with all of the same adjustability. And, since the KX500 was the first bike that Revloc made the auto clutch for, they are available. They also fit under the stock clutch cover!

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
  Oh yea, I forgot to mention they're in our back yard ;-)  I just ordered the Dyna Ring myself.  Can't wait!

I got to eye-breed one today. Nice stuff!

Speaking of freaky, small world kind of stuff.... I finally figured out why I thought I knew you. You were going to go on a ride with me and others from TT at 717, but you couldn't make it.

torch

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »

I got to eye-breed one today. Nice stuff!

Speaking of freaky, small world kind of stuff.... I finally figured out why I thought I knew you. You were going to go on a ride with me and others from TT at 717, but you couldn't make it.

torch

Ha, yep, that'd be me.  I forget what came up, but I'm sure it had to do with either the wife, or the in-laws....

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »
For some reason, I thought it had to do with your (non-Kawasaki) bike! :-D

torch

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
For some reason, I thought it had to do with your (non-Kawasaki) bike! :-D

torch

Could have been this;

This;

This;

This;

One of these;

This;

This (in middle);

But not this ;-) 

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »

But not this ;-) 

Too bad you couldn't stay on that one long enough for a pic! :-D

torch
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:50:55 AM by Danger4u2 »

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
I'm done with the decomp mod. Thanks to Larry for selling me a decomp valve (beautifully reworked, I might add).

I also found the perfect blast media to match the factory finish. I don't know where to buy it yet, but it is glass bead that is used with traffic paint stripes.

torch

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
Looking great. Watching closely so when I get the parts and time I can build mine. Started work today so absolutely no time now. 12-16 hour days til further notice.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.