Author Topic: KX500 won't start I've tried everything :-(  (Read 7420 times)

Offline crazyredneck

KX500 won't start I've tried everything :-(
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
alright so I bought a 1990 K5 from a guy that said it wouldn't kick start but would bump start so I brought it home cleaned the carb and gas tank put new premix in it I checked for spark and pulled the flywheel to check the timing and I also ohm tested both my ignition coil and stator coil and they tested fine and it still wouldn't kick start so I tried bump starting it and it cranked but was running poorly and smoking a lot, so I read a lot more on this site and thought that it was my CDI so I bought a new OEM Kawasaki CDI and put it on tonight and didn't change anything. so I have no Idea what it might be and was hoping you guys could help.

thanks,

PS: I've also replaced the spark plug and I also have a clymer manual for it

Offline BDI

Re: KX500 won't start I've tried everything :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »
You checked for spark but did you check for spark strength. You tested the pulse coil in the stator?
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:13 PM »
There are so many things that could be wrong but might as well start with the simple and cheap things first. Where is the timing set? Make sure there is no corrosion buildup/rust on the coils. you can use a little sandpaper on it to clean it up. Also might want to do a leak down test to make sure your crank seals are ok. Bad seals make it tough to start and doesn't run the greatest because of the lack of vacuum to suck the fuel into the cylinder.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »
take the coil wire off and cut about an 1/8 off each end and put it back together. some times the coil wire it self gets coroded. Go for the simple stuff first. also check grounds :evil:

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
perform a compression test, Check the spark, check reeds for cracks.

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »
Sounds like a broken or fluttered reed. It is a good idea to change them on a new purchase. Who knows how long those have been in there. While you are at it upgrade to the VForce 3. Totally worth it.
Good luck
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline oic0

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:45:55 AM »
Bet you're thinkin pretty hard about a compression release too now huh. :(
A KX500 that won't start is some serious cardio.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 01:54:44 AM »
alright so I bought a 1990 K5 from a guy that said it wouldn't kick start but would bump start so I brought it home cleaned the carb and gas tank put new premix in it I checked for spark and pulled the flywheel to check the timing and I also ohm tested both my ignition coil and stator coil and they tested fine and it still wouldn't kick start so I tried bump starting it and it cranked but was running poorly and smoking a lot, so I read a lot more on this site and thought that it was my CDI so I bought a new OEM Kawasaki CDI and put it on tonight and didn't change anything. so I have no Idea what it might be and was hoping you guys could help.

thanks,

PS: I've also replaced the spark plug and I also have a clymer manual for it

The #1 simple test is compression. It will quickly tell you good news and bad ! Whenever someone brings a bike to my shop with "it wont start" or "starts really hard and bogs" The first thing I do is a C/T . If it reads under 100 psi, there's no need to investigate or spend money elsewhere other than the top end....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:03:29 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
I'm sorry but I have to disagree a little bit with the last one. Never assume you have only one problem  :wink: although a compression test is a good place to start, to properly fix an engine you need to properly diagnose the engine. This would include a leak down test also to make sure you don't have a leaky mian seal or worse. This is one of those things that realy goes back to the basic fundamentals of engine repair. Theres nothing worse then putting a new top end on a bike only to have the same hard starting problem or worse have it burn up do to a main seal leak. It's a lot of work to diagnose an engine but if done properly you will get where you want to be a lot faster and be alot happier when you get there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:15:42 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
I read a good ignition will jump a half inch gap.
Can you explain that to me more in detail.
Help a rookie out please.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:40:49 PM by crazyolbastard »
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline crazyredneck

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
hey guy's thanks for all the reply's I forgot to mention I had already done a compression test and its got 150 psi the guy I got it from had the top end rebuilt about a year ago.  I also thought about it being the reeds so I tried some starting fluid(ether) put straight into the cylinder and still nothing.  I'll double check all the wiring tomorrow.  oh and the timing is set on the middle mark.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:27:54 PM by crazyredneck »

Offline 500HORZ

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
Based on compression being good I'd do 3 things.  First properly set the timing - do you have a dial indicator to set in the sparkplug hole?
2nd completely tear apart and clean the carb - note what jets, needle and slide are in it.
3rd put fresh gas in it - race fuel if possible.
Try to start it again.
If it starts and runs rough spray a little brake cleaner around the carb boot/reed block to see if there any any vaccum leaks.
My guess is a combination of these 3 with a chance of a leak in the boot area.
I'm going thru the same thing except mine runs great, idles perfect, just cant kick start it at all - bumps and fires instantly - likely a weak coil...
I want to hear about how to test the strength of the spark - literally hold the plug 1/2 inch from the block and watch?
Any recommendations on coil alternatives?  Mine checks out good too...   

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 10:02:32 AM »
thanks 500HORZ
I will check my spark that way
I`m ready ta ride but my girl ain`t ready for the dance.
I`m gunna check my grounds and the connections after that if it won`t jump the gap.
It lokks like a weak spark compared to my buddies bike down the street.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
set the plug gap at .080" if it jumps the gap then check the flywheel keyway.
Is the spark plug wet or dry.

Offline serafin

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
Along with everyone else's ideas let me add have your checked your float height?  It's possible that the fuel level in the bowl is to low and the vacuum signal when trying to start the bike is not strong enough to draw fuel up the jets.

Serafin