Author Topic: wipeout  (Read 4216 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
wipeout
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:29:25 AM »
i had a pretty good wipe out on my k5 last nite. i tore up the left rad shroud, slightly bent the rad screen mounting tab and worst of all, broke the left acerbis hand guard. i ordered a new set of tusk d-flex hand guards for replacements, anyone have any experience with these good or bad? my wrist isn't too great either :cry: not so good cause im knee deep in a bathroom remodel right now :|

Offline bob larry

Re: wipeout
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:39:06 AM »
Well at least your not broken..... :mrgreen:

I would stick with the acerbis bark busters as it probly saved you from more injury.  The bendy flexy ones are no good imo.

2001 KX500

Offline DHregdovic

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:17:43 AM »
I used to run the Acerbis Rally Pro's and liked them especially when the extra spoiler is added to the top. They gave you the brush guard as well as the aluminum bar inside to protect from trees.

My cousin then showed up with the Tusk brand D-Flex spoilers. It seemed to me that the aluminum bar is a little heavier than with the acerbis. The plastic is also replaceable on them where they weren't on the Acerbis. You can also add spoilers to the D-Flex ones that gives you way better coverage than the Acerbis Rally Pro's ever did.

Acerbis Rally Pros are 89.99 plus 18 or so for the spoilers (total $108).

The Tusk D-Flex are 54.99 plus 9.99 for the spoilers (or you can get the kit that includes both for 63.99).

Evryone I ride with uses this brand now. There are some other options out there but show me one that covers/protects as well for the same price. These are the only ones I will use from now on.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
If you hit hard enough to break the handguards, did you tweak the bars, too?
usually, the rubber cone bar mounts get upset and undoing them and redoing them will get you back in bar alignment.
Any harder, and the bars get bent.

P.S. I think it was Cycle Gear that had Acerbis Rally Pro IIs for like $54 or so recently.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline amra500

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
if  a kx 500 is at speed in the desert and he crashes can anybody hear him scream when he hits the dirt

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
the bars did not get knocked out of alignment. i think the bike actually landed directly on that handguard that broke.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »
well, as it turns out, the bike was not the only thing that got broken. i sustained, what the DR. called, a crank fracture to my wrist. i was lucky though because the broken piece did not shear off which would have required a screw. i worked all weekend and worked on my bathroom remodel all last week and just thought it was "sore" and i didn't want to be a wuss. my wife said i shouldn't be stubborn, and i guess she's right. now i won't be able to go paddlefishing like i planned. cast will be on 5-6 weeks :cry:     
                                                                                                                                                                        maddoggy

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
That sucks. I'm surprised it didn't hurt as much as a break normally does and you were using it pretty hard from the sounds of it. Hope you have a fast recovery.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:40 AM »
i tried to get a kawi. green cast, but that color was only in the little kid size rolls. oh well.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
 :|
  Jinkies MadDawg,
 Hope you have a speedy recovery.  Don't try to over work with the cast on either!  I get the impression your a no pain no gain kinda guy.   Well, I thought that way too...10 years ago  :lol:  Take care and listen to the Doctor!.
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Goat

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
Did you tell them to order some Kawi green for adults? That should be a standard color for everything lol
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 04:38:22 AM »
i got the cast cut off this morning and now have a small brace for another 2 weeks. it feels awsome to have that cast off! DR. says that because i'm a diesel tech and heavy equip mechanic i can't work for another 2 weeks. maybe i can get some light work done around the house. later dudes.

Offline Goat

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »
That was quick. Glad you're doin better. Now get out there and get something done lol