Author Topic: Bike won't start!  (Read 7760 times)

Offline bob larry

Bike won't start!
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:02 AM »
There is very low compression on the kickstart....can push it with my hand!

Motor just stopped running....

I guess it is the piston and ring.   Anything else it could be.

I am going to tear it all apart tonight, am looking for some ideas.
I am armed with the sticky top end write up which is A+ .
2001 KX500

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Bike won't start!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »
Bob,
Investigate why it has low compression before tearing the motor apart (leak Down test, dirt thru the filter, etc.) or you may be visiting this topic again after a fresh topend.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline bob larry

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
Dirt through the filter will lower the compression?

Going to look up how to do a leak down test......

Thanks for the help........keep er coming
sucks when they are down and out

2001 KX500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »
Yep. Dirt thru the filter = dirt sanding on the rings. Leaning it out will also melt them. Most likely are looking at piston and ring top end do-over,  :lol: and hopefully no damage to cylinder, keep the fingers crossed and the lucky rabbits foot in your pocket, :-D. Yeah that sucks when they are down even worse when you find it was from something preventable. Live and learn on those deals. that could be a whole thread by itself
  HOW SOMETHING SO SIMPLE MELTED DOWN MY MOTOR... I would have a few stories of my own to confess...

Offline bob larry

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:04:51 AM »
Well it was the rings....I am amazed these motors will run right till there is NO ring left.

So it is bottom and top end time.....

Any suggestions would be awsome.....
Anybody on here fix the whole shabam..

Will send the jug out and get the piston kit.

The bottom end I will need bearings and seals.

DOE!
looks like I'm out for a bit... :? :?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:48:54 AM by Danger4u2 »
2001 KX500

Offline bob larry

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:08:58 AM »
A few more

:?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:48:28 AM by Danger4u2 »
2001 KX500

Offline bob larry

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:04:35 AM »
Well I talked to the local Kawi shop and they can send out my Jug for $350 and they ordered me a top end and gaskets. 
Service guy said to just leave the bottom end if it was idleing good and started good.   Opening that up and I'll need one thing after another........

It did idle and start good.  Should I just clean the bottom the best I can a put a new top end on it?

2001 KX500

Offline blueoval

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:30:50 AM »
Did you do a vacuum test on the motor prior to tearing the top end down?
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline bob larry

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:55:49 AM »
No I was dieing to see the jug inside.....I ordered some parts to build one but they will be a few more day before I get the gauge...And I have to find someplace in Ontario that sells the plugs.....Workn on it I guess you could say.

2001 KX500

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:11:04 AM »
Starting and idling good do not mean the crank seals are necessarily still fine. My bike always started excellent, and ran perfectly, but when I tore it apart I could see the left seal was weaping behind the stator.

Offline bob larry

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »
Ya I would like to do it all so I can sleep at night.

I have the vaccum/pressure tester in the mail
And I have the flywheel puller in the mail..

Maybe I will take it all apart and just get a shop to change the bearings and
seals.  It would suck if they did a poor job on sealing the seals or fd up the
true of the crank....as I don't know anywhere around here I could trust to do a good job....

:cry:
2001 KX500

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:34:35 PM »
Since it's already down until you get the jug back you might as well go through the bottom end. Makes a world of difference and you wont be tearing it all down again to replace bearings and seals in a couple months. Saves time and money. I just went through a K5 that I bought over the winter. I'm glad I pulled the cases apart. The bearings fell apart before I even tried to pull the crank out. The cases were beat up as well so I just bought some off ebay that were in good shape. Do your homework if you're not sure about a shop. Search the internet and talk to riders in your area. I've worked at a couple shops I wouldn't recommend to anyone not even my worst enemy. Good luck.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
everytime someone has motor trouble people say ,leak down test,crank seals gone,check rod end play,bearings gone. you got the cyl off,check for deap scratches and chips missing if none,install new rings and gaskets and go. does anybody here ride a less then perfect bike.if you look at my 500 you might be able to tell where i rode last month. every bike posted here gets the beautifull bike comment.does anyone ride a dirtbike. rings and gaskets used to be in everybodys tool box. mine smokes a little to much,crank seals maybe, but still runs like crazy. tear down someday,but not in the near future. dont enjoy it looking at it ride the d**n thing and have a good time.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »
fluffy, I understand what your saying.  Ride and enjoy your bike. I don't do all the maintenance like I should but I must have a mechanically sound bike.  We ride in areas where a break down could mean some serious problems.
I have a bike like you describe, may need seals, one fork leaks a little, could use chain and sprockets........
But I only ride that bike on the track behind the shop or no more than 3- 4 miles from the truck.
KX 500 Rider

Offline blueoval

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
I want to comment on this.  I ride the Sheeet out of my bike, but I have very little tolerance (not much at all) for bikes that break down.  Yes, they all do eventually, but when I drive 180 miles each way to get to the riding area and the same amount of miles back burning a full tank of gas in my truck I want to know my bike is going to run good that day.  I often ride over 40 miles from the truck in single track and out in the desert in the middle of nowhere and if it breaks down that would be a real pain - the riding part of the day is ruined.  I also go with friends who want to ride and with all the time and money invested in the days ride it would be irresponsible on my part to have my bike breakdown due to lack of routine maintenance. 

Most of my friends ride newer bikes and there is a pride thing in keeping a decade old bike running good.   

If I was just riding by the truck or the like I would still be as meticulous about the bike because there is a power that be that says lack of maintenance will always come back and bite ya'

I work hard for my money and when I get something I take care of it!

Always ride it hard and beat it to death, but love it at the same time.

I think I am losing my mind.............

B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.