Author Topic: 1999 Team Green KX500  (Read 7397 times)

Offline ToomanyKaws

1999 Team Green KX500
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
Bought this KX500 in CA.   Supposed to be a Factory Desert bike.  Very similar to the Larry Rosselor bike my buddy had.    Factory frame guards welded on, ( much like my KDX200).  Many of the welds on the frame look way better than the 2002 I have.   Welded and reinforced radiators.  Pro Circuit suspension and motor.   Looks like low hours for a 1999. Supposedly was a fresh motor when the guy got it from Jeff Healey, Team Green rider.  Cases are extremely clean as the head and jug are. No stripped bolts, studs or nuts.   15/42 gearing!!!   Need to drop that back a bit. Pro Circuit dog bones.  Trick silencer bracket.  Not sure how well the suspension will work for me yet. ( 150 lbs.)   Originally wanted it just for the motor for my 450 project.    But after working on it all weekend think I will use it as a beater 500 and look for a 500 engine yet for the other bike.  :lol:  Still need to put the Scotts on off my other bike.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:56:08 PM by ToomanyKaws »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: 1999 Team Green KX500
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
Looks like a well taken care of bike. Nice find.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline dubious01

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »
green with envy here...LOL

can you provide insight of what area's were strengthened, possibly with pics?
I would be forever indebted ...LOL
I'd rather CrAsH and eAt sHIzIt THAN eAt rOOsT

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:35:46 AM »
Will take some better pics of it this week.   Just tried to get everything fixed on it to be on standby for riding.    Need to fix the gearing yet today.   

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:19 AM »
I have a pretty mint 2004 Team Green KX500 that I will post some pictures of shortly. I just went though the bike to grease/tighten/locktite everything and here is what I've noticed is unique about these Team Green bikes so far: The frame has welded on guards for water pump protection, the exhaust bracket problem is fixed with reinforcement, the radiators are fully welded (even the air bleed was welded over) with spacers to flare the radiator shrouds out more (to collect more air I'm guessing), a stainless steel plate has been riveted to the subframe to ensure the chain won't eat through it.

These Team Green bikes are pretty awesome, and I will try to post a bunch of pictures so to show some of the mods the factory team was doing. They had these bikes dialed in, and they were extremely reliable. Mine has a Varner motorsports engine, but I have not opened it up to check out the mods. The engine was done by Varner and the supsension by Acme, then the bike was not ridden for several years, so no reason to tear the motor apart yet.

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
So how did all these team green KX5's end up on the used market?!  I swear all the cool deals lurk in the shadows in so-cal.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
So how did all these team green KX5's end up on the used market?!  I swear all the cool deals lurk in the shadows in so-cal.
Yes alot were released
Few shots of my 91 after I took it appart to go through it

Frame guards.  All welds on my bike are redone by hand VERY WELL. 

Release papers signed by teem green race manager
And pink signed by jeff ward.  

Mine was sold to Doug hass.  Guess he had somthing to do with the dynos for team green.   

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:24:41 PM by Motorrad »

Offline dubious01

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
$2138... thats sick dood. just sick. I'd give my left nut for one fo these bikes mint, especially if its the sam bike I saw pics of recently with quick clutch cover, billet clutch arm, varner motor... like new !  :|

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:12:27 AM »
I was just about to bid my left nut as well, but it appears I need to raise my bid as a left nut has already been offered. Anyone interested in a left nut and a kidney for a Team Green bike?

Offline dubious01

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:38:01 AM »
wow,that bike of yours is dead sexy, very nice!

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »
I found my Team Green kx500 from reading the AMA District 37 for sale forum. You can still find one for sale every once in a while, but the days of buying directly off of Team Green pros are long gone. My K5 was from Brian Brown who was Destry Abbott's teammate and National Champion. From what I've been told, Kawasaki would give these guys a few K5's a year, some of them race bikes and some practice bikes. The practice bikes seem to have less wear and tear, but I have only seen a few in person.

The best think about these Team Green bikes is that most of the typical KX500 quirks such as broken exhaust mounts, chain eating through the subframe, etc., have been solved.

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »
This was supposedly a practice bike.   Has a lot of strange and different parts on it than an ordinary KX500.  Just noticed the Rear subframe appears to be custom.   Would have to put it next to my 02s subframe to really compare.    Spun the bar mounts around 180 and the steering stabilzer went right on. :lol:   Don't like the up and down play in the rear linkage, top bolt portion.  Everything else is tight with the suspension.   Might rebuild it this week or at the least grease it all up and see what it looks like inside.   Sure has some HP.  Rode it around the industrial park where my shop is.  Lays rubber like a Ninja.    A 14t front will make the gears a bit more usable.  This motor hits pretty abruptly compared to my stocker 02 (FMF gnarly, reeds.)      Nothing like whipping up on 450's or 250's with a 500 now is there. :-o

Offline dubious01

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »
I would really be interested in seeing the port changes with these motors...Green with envy.

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:39:23 AM »
Going to take this motor apart in June when my riding season is over with. :-D  Least till the hot weather is gone by fall.   Can't wait to see whats inside it.

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »
Bike is finally done and how I want it for riding desert.    Don't really like the looks of the cylinder inside when I had the pipe off.  Piston looked good though.    Will be taking that apart soon enough.   Was going to paint the pipe but once I started sanding and cleaning it, opted for the original look.   Has quite a few dents that need to come out later when the motor is down.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:26:40 AM by ToomanyKaws »