Author Topic: Time to put my baby back together.  (Read 8099 times)

Offline oic0

Time to put my baby back together.
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
Ok she sucked mud a while back and has since just been sitting :(
Taxes come in and I'll have the $$ to fix her. Complete top and bottom end. Anyone have any ideas for a guy with no shop or real work space? maybe pull the engine and bring it in to the kitchen? my wife wont be happy...

I've got lots of stuff to figure out. I know how to do a top end but the bottom end will be a new game for me. I helped someone do the bottom end on my RD engine once but it was less complicated and opened from the top with the shafts sitting in in grooves along the seam. Opening the bottom end to get the crank and bearings out seems like a scary prospect. Is it something I can do just going along with the manual? I would hate to pay someone else to do it, most of the shops around here aren't very good.

Also, anyone know about how much this will cost? my best guesstimate has been 200 for cylinder plating, 100 for piston + rings, dunno how much for crank pressing, never had a single done before. etc... think I can ring this project in under a grand? I just hope I haven't lost any nuts and bolts over the last few months.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:24:27 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Time to put my baby back together.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:16:53 AM »
 Oico,
 There have been several guys that have done this in the living room as well as a shed.
   There may be someone nearby willing to help. Where abouts are you?
 There is also the possibility of using one of the engine builders/fabricators here in the forum worth contacting.
     The numbers you have as far as parts cost look close barring shipping and handling.
Gaskets,seals,bearings,consumables and some special tools are also a factor.
 (case splitter, flywheel puller, clutch holder torque wrenches etc)
  I am sure you can do this, I have and am by no means an expert.   If you can put together a 300 piece jigsaw puzzle you can re-build your engine.   
  If you aren't cracking open cases more than once a year it's hard to justify buying the tools to be able to do a good job as they are not out of reach, unless you really want to do it yourself.
  Hopefully some of the other guys will respond with another point of view.. :-)
  Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
If you have a manual to look at, the bottom end shouldn't be too big a deal for you to figure out. It's kind of self explanatory as everything fits one way for the most part. Hardest part is remembering where the shims go. That's what the manual is for. Also another good thing to do is take pictures as you pull it apart. When it's time to put it back together you can go through the pics and after a couple times you can do it by memory.

Keeping the cost under a grand shouldn't be too hard to accomplish as long as nothing major needs replaced like cases or gear shafts. Ebay is a great source for new parts cheaper than the dealer. Shop around though. Check pricing at the dealer, ebay and even search in google and it will bring up price listings for places like amazon, bizrate ect. Sometimes you can get lucky and get stuff for dirt cheap. You can also check places like:
      http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/home.do
      http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/
      http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/index.php

If you need any help or have any questions feel free to message me.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
I doubt you will find a piston kit for $100.  If so, post up where its from because the cheapest  I found and bought last week was around $150.  I think most places sell them for about $180.
As others said a grand should be within reason as long as you dont need anything drastic.  Many good people on here to help you out and you seem mechanically inclined so I dont see it as a problem.  If you have any doubts look at a manual or ask.  Somebody, if not everybody, should be more than helpful.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »
roost
you can get them for 135.00 shipped.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
roost
you can get them for 135.00 shipped.
kaw
where's that from?  sounds like a good deal, is that for stock bore only or any size?  My 88mm came from ebay and I think was $150 shipped.  Local dealer with my discount couldnt touch this.  Maybe we'll have to buy some extras up.

Offline Goat

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
Cheapest I found when I needed one last month was $145 shipped. I looked for about a month before buying one. I agree Roost. I get a discount at a dealer I worked at for years and they still couldn't get close to $145.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
136.00 shipped for 86mm-87mm piston
154.00 shipped for 87.50-88mm piston.

I have bought K5 pistons from them the last couple of years.

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »
When I was a kid my mom and dad did not have a garage. I used to degrease & clean all my parts out in the yard then blow them dry with the compressor. I would assemble my engines in my bedroom on a card table.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »
136.00 shipped for 86mm-87mm piston
154.00 shipped for 87.50-88mm piston.

I have bought K5 pistons from them the last couple of years.
who's them?   :-D

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 02:53:26 AM »
oem cycle

Offline drewh14

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
If you at least check out ebay once a day like me, you might find a brand new stock bore ring and piston wiseco kit like i did for a whopping $80. Theres always someone who wants to get rid of the parts they've had on the shelf forever!

Offline oic0

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
So if I don't have the special tools I should pay a shop to do the bottom end? Wonder how much labor they will hit me for :(
My tool collection is sparse. I'm 26 and have only been in my first house for a year. I am blessed though with an old man that has two storage buildings full of tools. I think he is a compulsive tool buyer (also an ironworker / welder). He won't have things like a flywheel puller or case splitter though. He could probably make them for me but there is always the hazard of not getting it quite right and messing something up.

I'm in a hurry to get old girl fixed, soon as that house credit comes in :D my friend with a lot of land recently let an oil company run a pipeline. They made some sweet trails and cleared a swath thats sort of like a dirt highway wide enough to fit probably 6 trucks or more side by side on. made some nice whoops and small jumps in places too, not sure why. They plan on running some gravel road too. I also bought a cheapy 19 dollar digital video camera to duct tape to my helmet as a poor mans helmet cam (that I don't have to worry about breaking!)

As for where I am, I'm in Shreveport LA, northwest corner of Louisiana.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:42:53 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Goat

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
You could just get the engine tore down as much as you can and take it to a shop to have the cases split and flywheel removed. If they aren't busy they could do it while you wait. Shouldn't cost very much to do it that way. I know the flywheel puller is pretty cheap. Never bought a case splitter though. I'm sure you can find them on ebay. I'll look tonight and if I find anything I'll post them up.

Offline Goat