Author Topic: Extended swingarm for woods riding???  (Read 4079 times)

Offline BasketCase

Extended swingarm for woods riding???
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
I am 6'7" and 285lbs, I have Rox risers and tall bars. with my size and weight with the tall bars and the torque of the K5 in a standing position I can wheelie at will, and worse, against my will. I am considering extending my swing arm 4" or so to help stabilize things a bit. I realize it will hurt turning but I'm wondering if it would be worth the trade off. Does anyone run one on their trail bike or is it just for the hill climbers?
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline runabout

Re: Extended swingarm for woods riding???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
I have not tried it and I would be concerned that it might turn like a stickin the mud...LOL
Have you tried to change the gearing? It can make a world of difference
Good Luck

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »
I have run extended swingarm on my 250 trail riding, it didnt make much differrence at all on the turning . If you look at my swingarm it is made full adjustable from stock to 6 over , so you can change it as often as you want with extra links of chain. I have a machinist local that does the extentions for us so if you want out price I can do that for you just let me know or if you have someone local to you thats good I can provide you good pictures. Best would be to get another swingarm on ebay or here and have it done and keep your stock one on the shelf. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
First off, thanks for the input. I have changed the gearing and have it where it trail rides really nice. It just seems that with my very high center of gravity and extra leverage the tall handle bar set-up gives me, a little extra wheel base would do the trick. CBX, do you have some pics of your swing arm, it sounds the set-up to have. So it is adjustable, or do you just have multiple arms to switch out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:05:58 PM by BasketCase »
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »
Basketcase,
The extended swingarms that CBX and I run are fully adjustable from Stock length to 6" over.  If you want an extended swingarm, go this route, as this is probably the nicest I've seen.  Just remember when you extend your wheel back, your suspension will get progressively softer.  So you will probably have to give your shock a couple of clicks to stiffen it back up.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
dropping two teeth off the rear will make your wheel base longer and take away some of the wanting to wheeli.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:57:37 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
I ve taken hillclimbers out for rides. the stock length bikes can dodge and weave alot better and absorb the bumps, especially on down hills better. extensions really just slow down the abrupt wheelies on the hill. ( So you can stay in it WFO) Extensions also change the traction so you will have to search for the right gearing/tire combo. They also really affect the spring and setting of the rear shock, like Roost daddy said. It took more than a couple clicks to compensate for the leverage on mine. The extensions that we get are polished Aluminum, so we try not to beat up the bling there also. Plus you have alot of other details to work out. Extensions require, buying  a new chain or two,( longer than OEM), relocating the chain guide, relocating the brake stay, often a custom brake line and losing your factory adjustment marks.
Approximately 500.00 (not including shock revalve) to add length by the time you get it done. If you do that, get your District Card and Ama card, and put a Tether Kill Switch on it, and Bammo, you're a hillclimber....

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
It could work. Stefan Everts his factiry yzf450 had an extended swingarm for keeping his front wheel down.
The extention Rinaldi made for him a small inch, 23mm if i'm right. More and it wil cost in turning I think.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
Thanks for all the insight, I think I might start gathering what I can piece by piece and see if I can do it on the cheap. I already have an extra swing arm and the stiffest rear spring made for the K5. I think this will actually be pretty fun to ride on the trails, Im not the fastest in the corners anyway, and a little more confidence in the steep stuff cant be bad.

BRAAAPP

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »
I found the aluminum for my extensions at a local scrap yard , then all you have to pay for is the machine work. Any questions just pm me. CBX

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 04:48:38 AM »
Cool, thanks.

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:31:50 AM »
I found the aluminum for my extensions at a local scrap yard , then all you have to pay for is the machine work. Any questions just pm me. CBX

if you plan on this.  Make sure you know what grade aluminum you are buying!!!   
Not sure what the stock swingarm is.  But I'd look for
6061 t6. Or 7075

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
Yea I picked up a big bar of 6061 it was a great find. Hard to believe someone took it to the scrap yard. CBX

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »
How about sectioning a piece out of another swingarm? That way I'm not joining dissimilar alloys.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:30:24 PM by BasketCase »

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
Basketcase,
 You could do that but with all of the swingarms that I have seen done like this, you have an extended swingarm that is 4" longer (or whatever length you choose) that cannot go to stock length if you want it too, without cutting this section back out.  The way that CBX and my swingarms are done, we have the rear section cut at the weld.  Then have a piece welded in to it that is 4" or so longer in the rear.  Which can still be run at the stock length, up to like 4" over. 
PM one of us if need more info or pics and we'd be glad to help you out.   
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.