Author Topic: Welding and the bike's electrical  (Read 2384 times)

Offline blueoval

Welding and the bike's electrical
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
I made a bracket for the front pipe mount and bent it to shape and welded it to the frame.  During my last ride it broke.  It turned out pretty good, will have to see how long it holds.  I was proud of my work, but after the job was done I realized that I may not have done much to protect the ignition, etc on the kx500.  I did take the coil off of the frame - that's all I did.  Anybody think the welding could cause a problem?  Yes, I know, it's after the fact and I should have asked the question prior to doing the welding.               thanks,   ted
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: Welding and the bike's electrical
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »
I will have no effect. Just dont use the coil wire as a grounding point.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:29:33 PM »
The coil is the only part that grounds to the frame by its mounting point so I would imagine that it should be ok as long as the cdi didn't get hot. Being that far up the frame from where you were welding I wouldn't think that would have happened.

None of the 3 K5 frames I have in the garage have that front exhaust mount from factory. The 92 has a crappy weld job of a bracket. The 93 doesn't have one at all. And the 88 I made one that the top engine mount bolt goes through. Come to think of it I never got a pic of it after I made it lol. Anyway I just bent a piece of 1/4 inch flat steel and drilled 2 holes in it. I used a carriage bolt to bolt the exhaust on with a 3/4 inch thick piece of rubber between the bracket and the exhaust. Works pretty good.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »
You should have unplugged everything. My buddy lose his cdi box on his crf450 last summer welding on his frame.

If it acts up then you know it's a ignition problem.

Offline blueoval

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:37:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies.    B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.