Author Topic: timing ?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline K5DADDY

timing ?
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »
I have used the search function to death and cant seem to find anybody whos tried this. i am wondering if anybody has tried advancing the timing on there 87 k5. I used to do this on my skidoo trail sleds with great success on premium pump gas and it really seemed to give them some extra snap. I have seen where other members have retarded timing for more overrev but thats not really what i am looking for. My bike is stock except for boyesen power reeds and soon to have a pc pipe. currently the timing is set in the stock position. any input on this would be appreciated. thanks ,scott

Offline junk man

Re: timing ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:48:56 PM »
I also have a timing question on a 97 K5 i just replaced my crank seals and when i put the ignition back there's three timing marks and in my manual they don't specify what mark is factory they don't tell how many degrees before top dead center these marks represent so i set it in the middle mark i run pump gas 91         thanks JM

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »
JM, stock is in the middle position.  Rotate the stator clock-wise to the next mark is advanced, rotate the stator counter-clock-wise to the next mark is retarded.
K5, best thing I can tell you is try retarding it and then try advancing it.  You should be able to tell which works better for you.  Maybe stock setting will be best.  There are mixed feeling on whats BEST.  Only you will know with your machine and riding style.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline dubious01

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »
JM, stock is in the middle position.  Rotate the stator clock-wise to the next mark is advanced, rotate the stator counter-clock-wise to the next mark is retarded.
K5, best thing I can tell you is try retarding it and then try advancing it.  You should be able to tell which works better for you.  Maybe stock setting will be best.  There are mixed feeling on whats BEST.  Only you will know with your machine and riding style.

also dependany on fuel used and combustion chamber...LOL
I'd rather CrAsH and eAt sHIzIt THAN eAt rOOsT

Offline junk man

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
hey thanks RD,I'm running junk pump gas(91)in calf. the combustion chamber is stock well almost there's a wiseco piston in it or were you referring to the expansion chamber   :lol:

hey thanks guys