Author Topic: Going Slow...  (Read 4240 times)

Offline oic0

Going Slow...
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
My best friend just bought a big bear 350. As you can imagine, there is a slight issue. Trying to go as slow as I can is what feels like cruising speed to him. Even at that speed it FEELS like its hard on the bike. I don't know, its just twitchy and jerky trying to ride just off idle. Is there any real harm in it? I coulda swore there was more glitter in the oil when I changed it, maybe its just in my imagination? I am thinking about lowering the gearing, just haven't gotten around to it and I keep having second thoughts (Ive never lowered the gearing on something that already had too much torque... just seems wrong).
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: Going Slow...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
tell him to ride faster!!!! your main issues will be gumming the plug up, and worse case scenario, not getting enuff oil onto your main bearings.what you said about gearing/torque is right but it might just be such a giggle that you report your findings back and we all go to 12/52.good for wheelies anyway, but cover the back brake, I dont want to be responsible for more hospital food :evil:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
Its hard to ride a green land rocket at 1/4 throttle. once you get off the pilot jet and into the mid it starts to clean up. Unfortunately once you get to that point your probably already near the top speed of that quad if not already past it. I ride slow in the tight stuff quite a bit, it sounds and feels like a Hemi with a big cam,  but a little leaner jetting might keep it from loading up or fouling. I think its more of a throttle position problem than a gearing one. thats just how the big 5 is

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
What is important is that you ride. At 52 yrs old I don't care so much how fast the ride is. About 6 years ago I agreed to go with some 70+ guys on ATVs, one guy was soon to be 80 and had just bought a 250cc Honda 4 wheeler, his first machine ever, he rode very well and the fun he had was priceless to watch, a WWII Vet, an experience I won't forget. I still ride with all ages and speeds, I just like to ride.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
Jetted properly... no gumming up...

Used to idle mine around all the time...

What gearing are you running?
Obviously that is key... if your trying to putt around on 15-46 gearing, its not going to work obviously...

Offline oic0

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
It doesn't bog, its extremely crisp.  Ever drive a manual car or truck down in first gear going real slow just off idle?, if you give it some gas it nearly gives you whiplash then let off and your head slings forward? Kinda like that, just feels like it would be hard on the gearbox. I'll go ahead and order a different front sprocket, its got the stock 14/47. Ill go on ahead down to a 12 since he is my only riding buddy and I dont usually like to go over about 60 on dirt anyway. Wonder if I will be able to shift that fast!
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:38:50 PM »
My best friend just bought a big bear 350. As you can imagine, there is a slight issue. Trying to go as slow as I can is what feels like cruising speed to him. Even at that speed it FEELS like its hard on the bike. I don't know, its just twitchy and jerky trying to ride just off idle. Is there any real harm in it? I coulda swore there was more glitter in the oil when I changed it, maybe its just in my imagination? I am thinking about lowering the gearing, just haven't gotten around to it and I keep having second thoughts (Ive never lowered the gearing on something that already had too much torque... just seems wrong).

I've spent a lot of time with my KX500 in every terrain from slow technical woods, to 75 mph logging roads, to WFO speed runs out on the ice. Plain and simple the KX500 in stock form is NOT low end friendly ! When a KX500 hits the "pipe" you better be hanging on TIGHT ! The brutal torque is just relentless and really hammers the rider's mind and body, LOL .
There are severall ways to "tame" the hit, and make the 500 more friendly. Do some searching under "gearing" "Moose torque spacer" and "flywheel weights" . This will archive a weeks worth of reading and awesome knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:27:55 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline oic0

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:13:57 AM »
I think its just in my head. I think that riding that slow you hear all of the little engine noises a lot more and feel the driveline lash more. I'm always paranoid about my stuff blowing. Probably because I've blown up a four-stroke twice (oil pump quit, twice), and had a catastrophic failure on my last two stroke build (piston skirt caught on the intake port, porting guy flubbed). Whenever I have a motor running good I always try to make sure I'm not screwing it up. Its making about 170psi cold (dunno why, stock head and barrel, piston has some hours on it but looks ok) so I guess I should probably check my plug for signs of detonation, gear down, and stop thinking my bike is going to blow up. 
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline barryadam

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:14:54 AM »
There are severall ways to "tame" the hit, and make the 500 more friendly. Do some searching under "gearing" "Moose torque spacer" and "flywheel weights" . This will archive a weeks worth of reading and awesome knowledge.

+1 to what Polar says.  A flywheel weight is the first place I'd go, as well as change sprockets.

The 500 has such a tall first gear compared to other bikes, that it makes riding tight technical trails a challenge.
Or trying to ride with a partner on a different style bike (like a big bear), or with young kids, or beginners.
It can be done without the mods, you just have to be smooth.  It will load ya up, though.
My other bikes, and my main riding partner (son)'s ride is a KDX.  It's the other end of the spectrum, with a really short first gear.  Much more fun on tight stuff.

Maybe you need more clubs in your bag (bikes in your garage)...... :-D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:16:33 AM by barryadam »
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline bob larry

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »
What is important is that you ride. At 52 yrs old I don't care so much how fast the ride is. About 6 years ago I agreed to go with some 70+ guys on ATVs, one guy was soon to be 80 and had just bought a 250cc Honda 4 wheeler, his first machine ever, he rode very well and the fun he had was priceless to watch, a WWII Vet, an experience I won't forget. I still ride with all ages and speeds, I just like to ride.

Is anybody living in that shack?  Looks real good to me,,....

8-)
2001 KX500

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »

Is anybody living in that shack?  Looks real good to me,,....

8-)

Sorry it's gone already,,,,could I interest you in this one?    :-D
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 03:28:26 AM »
one other advantage of running low gearing on a 5 is that you can pick your toenails without bending down.nice.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....