Author Topic: Front Shock Covers.  (Read 4147 times)

FastKX500

Front Shock Covers.
« on: March 02, 2004, 07:12:11 AM »
Yea I have a 89 500 and My front boots on my shocks were really ugly and beat up so I took them off, is this okay? I mean the new bikes dont even have them, I was just wondering...Thanks Guys.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 07:48:15 AM »
The new bikes have plastic hard covers over the fork legs. The ONLY purpose those covers and the ones that came on your bike serve is to protect the fork slider.

So that makes them fairly important.

teamgreen500

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 04:34:05 PM »
Those forks you've got are some of the nicest pieces ever put on a stock KX. Take good care of them. Protect the tubes. If all you can find are the blue stockers...then get'em. You might try late model ('89 or newere, actually...) KDX Fork Boots.

Good Luck,

Manny

FastKX500

toddwunsch

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 09:03:40 AM »
Check out sealsavers.com  

I've been thinking about getting these for my '04 KX-500 just for added protection.  I always thought they were just BS until I saw them on Ty Davis' bike at the 24 hrs of Glen Helen.  So I thought hell, they must do some good...

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 09:17:18 AM »
Quote from: toddwunsch
Check out sealsavers.com  

I've been thinking about getting these for my '04 KX-500 just for added protection.  I always thought they were just BS until I saw them on Ty Davis' bike at the 24 hrs of Glen Helen.  So I thought hell, they must do some good...

If you get the long ones that protect the upper fork legs, then keep in mind they hold heat and heat breaks down fluids ;)

FastKX500

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »
yea but my forks are different becuase its an 89 500, and i heard you dont need seal covers, just need to protect the sliders with boots, even though i dont like how they look, if anyone can find some sort of shields like the new ones have, to fit my bike let me know. Thanks

-Kayne

mikesmith

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 07:56:56 AM »
I dont know if itll help but maybe give you an idea if I can find a picture,but Scott Summers had something like you want for XR's.Theres nothing wrong with fork boots,they look good.So Id just run them.

FastKX500

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 01:29:45 PM »
oh alright man, ill get the black ones, my bike is gonna look nice when I get everything! Factory effex seat cover and graphics, black front fender, rear fender, front # plate, shrouds, and rear # plates, they are coming in tommorow, so ill take some pics so you can tell me what ya think.  Only thing is...I dont feel like spending that much for a black tank...so Do you think the green will look okay with everything, the frame will stil be green too, and the vents in the shrouds. Thanks -Kayne

teamgreen500

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 04:44:22 PM »
You can paint the tank with plastic paint or auto paint with flex additive (Like they use on bumpers).

Manny

mikesmith

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 09:49:36 PM »
Id see what it looks like and if you think you need a black tank try one of the members that got the Ty Davis tank on there newer KX,they came with a black tank stock or go to Clarke Manufacturing.

FastKX500

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »
Yea i believe they are 175.00 for the black tank..I dunno ill just see how everything looks, but thanks for that site.

teamgreen500

Front Shock Covers.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 03:58:29 PM »
BTW, some of the "Graphics" companies have used "Black" decals to cover colored tanks!

Just a though!

Manny