Author Topic: 2005 KX250 Clutch Problem  (Read 5818 times)

Offline zwazuski

2005 KX250 Clutch Problem
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:43:46 AM »
Last night I was installing my new stelthy FWW when I hit a snag. The clutch release (Part 13102 in the picture below) is hitting the flywheel weight. It seems like the arm is sticking out about a 1/4" to the front of the bike but I wiggled it back and forth along with the push rod and it wouldn't go into the case any further. Is this normal? Should that arm be able to slide in out or is there something that should it be holding it in place? A friend of mine has an 07 kx250 (suppose to be identical just about) and he didn't have an issue. I will try and get pictures later today.

Thanks
Z

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: 2005 KX250 Clutch Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
  I'm looking around to see if I can find a service manual to look for clues.
  The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that maybe the push rod is keeping the arm from fully seating in the case.  Have you tried to remove the pressure plate and push rod, install the clutch release arm and then reinstall the rod & pressure plate?  the rod may be what holds the clutch arm in place.

Look at the clutch arm. the end that goes in the case with the flat, does it look as if the push rod will keep the arm from sliding out if you install the release arm in the case first and then insert the rod and  pressure plate?.   
  If I'm looking at it correctly, your saying the release arm is sticking outside the case about the same thickness of the pushrod.

I'm just throwing this out there,  I'll keep looking for a manual..
  Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
Have a 07 also with a Steahly 9 oz fww and had no instal problems. Let us know what you find, I thought they were pretty much the same too.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline zwazuski

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried wiggling the pushrod while moving the arm and still no luck. I guess that is suppose to be able to slide in and out, and once everything is assembled it stays in place. Seems like kind of a rinky dink set up and if I hit a bump and that knocks into the weight that is gonna cause all kinds of problems.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »
 So If I understand you correctly, You can pull the pushrod out of the clutch side, and the release arm won't slide in the case any further?
  Something has to keep that buggar from falling out.  That is mounted horizontally right?
Oh well... Maybe the bump will lure in another 250 owner...
  Tuck\o/

Offline zwazuski

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:27:31 AM »
So If I understand you correctly, You can pull the pushrod out of the clutch side, and the release arm won't slide in the case any further?
  Something has to keep that buggar from falling out.  That is mounted horizontally right?
Oh well... Maybe the bump will lure in another 250 owner...
  Tuck\o/

Correct. I bent the arm over just a bit and it seems to clear the FWW now but it just doesn't seem right.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »
  Jinkies...
I'm in the process of getting a PDF  :wink:  hopefully with your bike.  I looked through numerous pages for free ones and came up empty handed...
  Maybe some of the other guys will see this and give it a shot.... :oops:
   Tuck\o/

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
 Z,
 I got a service manual for 125 & 250's but it doesn't show the same clutch arm arrangment...
  The KX125 shows the clutch release arm under the cover and horizontal.
 The 250 has the clutch arm outside the cover vertically like the 500's.
   However,  if I go to this service honda parts fische it looks like your pic.
 I can't copy and post the pic :| (like yours :oops:)

Do you think one of the two caged needle bearings in the case could have gotten buggerd or twisted /not seated squarely? 
The only thing between the release arm and the push rod is the seal and the two caged needle bearings.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/servicehonda/Kawasaki_OEM/KawasakiDB.asp?Type=13&A=76&B=6
   (go to the crankcase tab)
 See parts 92049c  Seal
 and  92046A  x's 2  bearings
  Tuck\o/