Author Topic: how to torque clutch basket on 02 kx 65  (Read 5204 times)

Offline flynorange

how to torque clutch basket on 02 kx 65
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »
Without buying special tools how do you properly torque the clutch basket bolt? The manual says 45 ft/lbs, but the only way i can get close to this is by hitting it a few times with the impact (not my style of torquing)! I've tried sitting on the bike with the wheel locked against the wall with the bike in third gear and i still can't keep the tire from spining. Is there a min/max distance between the pressure plate and the first friction disc you can measure to ensure it has been tightened properly? You all have been a great help in the past and i thank you in advance.

Motorrad

Re: how to torque clutch basket on 02 kx 65
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
Every bike I have.  I have found some sacraficial steel clutch plates.  Weld a bar to them.   Wala. Clutch basket holding tool

Offline flynorange

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »
thank you, i've seen this before the only thing i don't have is any spare clutch plates. i'll talk to the guys at the shop tomorrow to see if they can spare anything. Have you ever used any min/max spacing between the pressure plate and friction plate or just torque to spec and call it a wrap?
thanks again

Offline KenV

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:02 PM »
Just my story, not necessarily a recommendation: A huge screwdriver through the rear sprocket and against the swingarm did it for me.  This was a last-minute, I-can't-ride-anyway-if-I-don't-get-this-done type of situation...I did this once, only once, and don't know if I'd do it again.  Having had the Tusk clutch tool not work well at all, I really like Motorrad's idea.  I wish I had found this forum before buying that dolled-up Visegrip thing.