Author Topic: New Member D37 Enduro rider  (Read 2520 times)

Offline dirtrider30

New Member D37 Enduro rider
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »
I have a '93 kx500 I ride in enduros here in socal.  I bought the bike from a desert racer after I could no longer get parts for my '87 Husky 430wr.  It has the Ty Davis low pipe and tank, the cylinder was modified by FMF, and it has a Steahly flywheel weight.  It's a little much for enduros but an all around good bike.

Offline blueoval

Re: New Member D37 Enduro rider
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »
Hello dirtrider30,  welcome to this great site.  At what locations are the enduros in Southern California?  B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline junk man

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
hello dirtrider30  one of the members(danger4u2) was talking about putting a set of overdrive gears in his AF its a lot of work and cost.  I'm running  13 /48 and a flywheel wight things like a tractor and 1st is still a little tall in tight stuff
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:50:22 PM by junk man »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
Welcome DR,
  I think you hit the nail on the head my good man,
It's a little much for enduros but an all around good bike.
  It's a little much for anything! But I believe that's what keeps the average recreational guys like me keep from selling off the bike.  We have mostly single track and fire/park service roads up here. Even the fire roads don't have much 4th gear territory.  Like the Junk Man I am running 13/51,  1st gear is almost trial's like and still go faster in 5th  than an old curmudgeon like me should have sense enough to be doing .. Perfect for me, keeps the engine humming along in second or third without going at a greatneck ground speed.   I imagine you'd get used to the speed out in the wide open spaces and would soon be looking for more out in the Desert...
  For an old motocross bike these things can pretty much hold their own in most any circumstances with a few well
placed mods.
   Glad to have you with us.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline dirtrider30

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:53:32 AM »
Blue Oval -
The two main racing areas are Lucern Valley and Spangler Hills both in the desert.  We used to have an enduro in Big Bear but the green groups shut it down.  There is also a "qualifier" format race, no time keeping, in Gorman which is in the mountains.
dirtrider30

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:07:49 AM »
Welcome to the site

I'm a D38 racer. 
My k5 also has the zipty setup. 

Offline blueoval

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:34:40 AM »
Dirtrider, I am familiar with Spangler Hills (rode there a couple of weeks ago).  Been to Gorman a few times.  Mostly ride on the Randsburg side of Spangler Hills.  When are the Gorman "races"   

Offline dirtrider30

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:35 AM »
Blueoval-
The Gorman race is May 16th this year and is put on by the Ventura County Motorcycle Club.

Offline blueoval

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 06:14:17 AM »
Thank you very much  dirtrider30!!!!!!!!!!!!