Author Topic: tire studs  (Read 3785 times)

Offline kx10013

tire studs
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:42:06 AM »
Ive been trying to find out how i can stud my dirt bike tires.
Is there any patteren to follow?
And what kind of tire do i want to use?
And what can i use as a stud?
Can anybody help?

Offline toomany

Re: tire studs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:42:53 AM »
I've used KoldKutters (http://www.koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php) before. I've also used sheet metal screws (same head design as KoldKutters) Someone gave me a tire that has the knobs studded with screws and in the spaces between the knobs had push through snowmobile studs installed. I removed the snowmobile studs to replace with some fresher ones....I'm real excited to try this tire.

As for what type of tire, I use a worn out dirt tire. Screw 2 or 3 screws into each knob and run it. A tire with more knobs will hold more screws....giving more traction. Traction usually isn't an issue with a studded tire though.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:55:38 AM »
Depends on how serious you want to be.  For casual trail riding on frozen snomobile trails you can use sheet metal screws.  To be competetive on the ice you need to use the Koldcutters or similar ice screw. They have a taller, sharper lip that makes a huge difference.   To be really competitive you need a particular tire and usually pay soemone to put screws into them in a particular "secret" patern.  Where I live there are one or two guys that make everyones competition tires. Not to discourage you but that is how it is (at least where I live).  I have spent many evenings theorizing the flex of tires and making cool stud patterns - mine all worked like crap.  They even have a trellebourg class here where you can run the tires that come pre-studded.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
kenda makes a tire just for ice racing. look up ice racing tires and youll find all you need to know. for pro tires its about 550 a set.

Offline sandman540

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »
a buddy of mine has a set of pro ice tires that are all studded up and ready to go that he wants to sell. he asked me if i was interested but i wouldnt use them. if you want pm me and i will give you his number and maybe you could get a good deal on some sweet ice tires

Offline kx10013

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:44 AM »
Thanks everyone, holefully your tips will help!

Offline richard69

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Hey kx10013,

I'm not sure for dirt but I use Maxigrip Carbide studs (www.maxigripstore.com) for winter.  They are screw in tire studs and they last forever.  Could be an option for you.

Good luck.