Author Topic: Getting back to the dirt!!!!!  (Read 3194 times)

Offline butchpatrick

• Legends never die!!!
Getting back to the dirt!!!!!
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
Hello from IN!! I have a DR200(got from a guy that went to jail) and a 2002 KX500(got from a friend that in 1 month got a divorce and lost his job)SORRY.  DR200 $250, KX500 $500, FUN PRICELESS. The KX has mybe 25hrs on it MYBE. IM getting back into the dirt seen because i'm more into the 1968 triumph hardtails or panheads, but for the prices you can't beat it. So please if anyone can give me some advise a motor diagram (website) trans oil, oil change,a good spark plug and gap, gas mixture it would be GREAT. I'm new to the 2-stroke, but heard this bike has the power and torque and should be respected. Thanks for the advise and might need some help with the medical bills.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Getting back to the dirt!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
 Welcome Butch,
 There are plenty o' threads to peruse.   So much is personal preference it's hard to just toss out a formula to fit all.
I would recommend picking up a Clymer manual
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Clymer+kx500&x=11&y=22
  Or
The Two Factory Service Manuals and the Owners Manual
 http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/VIVehicleInformation/VItechpubs.asp?intCatalogID%3d2%26CatalogTypeID%3d4%26ProductTypeID%3d10%26ModelMarketingID%3d138%26ModelCode%3dKX500E14%26ModelYear%3d2002%26SHOWVEHTABS%3d1

You can also find them on ebay or a dealer.
 The clymer is actually very good, the guys who put together the motorcycle books do a much better job than the automotive dept. (I Think).
  This saved me alot of time and money, along with the folks here.
  Having someone there with a little expierience is a tremendous help.  Maybe another Hoosier will chime in and lend a hand.

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Getting back to the dirt!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:12:31 AM »
Hoosier here. Welcome Butch. Sounds like you walked into some great deals.
  Change oil frequently. Every ride or two. 10w40 is what Kawasaki recommends. I use valvoline, but the site expert, Stewart, would say Royal Purple is what you want. Its a little more, but well worth it, I'm sure.
NGK plugs, B8ES they can be bought from Oreilly's for 2 dollars a plug. Keep an eye on their color, until you get the bikes dialed in. Dark Brown is a good tuned motor. Black is rich / white or green is lean.
Use premium gas with the highest octane and quality you trust and stick with that fuel. I like Amoco Gold. I also use Camm II to race (110octane). Its found at some Speedway Gas Stations. Use a high quality name brand synthetic two stroke oil at a ratio of 44:1. I use Klotz Super Techniplate or R50. Smells good and works good. Lots of personal preferences come into play here, but the important thing is to be consistent. Its hard to tune if you have too many variables.
  Attica, the Badlands, is out west on I-74 almost to Illinois.750 acres of Sand Dunes and Wooded Trails. $20/day
  Dugger OHV Park is 1200 acres of dense wooded trails. registration with the State required. $10/day
  Haspin Acres, Laurel Indiana, Lots of jeep trails and sippy holes, super Dusty, with 2 Motox Tracks $15/day
  Lake Waveland has a Loop Trail, but I have not been there.
  Also, there is supposed to be another OHV place called Silverlake, but I do not know if that one is open yet.