Author Topic: Gearing  (Read 8262 times)

Chod

Gearing
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
Hey Guys - I own  a 99-kx500, All of my rideing is in the sand and on trials no hills here in centeral FLA. Im running a 57 tooth in the rear and 15 in the front it runs a 100 or better on top end.Which i dont need or wont.70 on top end would be good and on the bottom end more torque.So what gearing should i run to make this work is thier a scale you can go by.IDE BE THANK FULL FOR ANY INFO :?

Offline amra500

Re: Gearing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:10:03 PM »
i run 15/47 gearing here in az and it works great

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
I have done some research for you. With the gearing you are running and assuming stock tire size.
You top speed is 85.79 @ 8000 max Rpm's

Here is some very useful tools. I have been using these calculators for years on the street bike.
http://www.dansmc.com/mc_software1.htm        <---- gearing calculator

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos;jsessionid=GyB1vVm1yXRGZ1nL91BQspZfSjq29n22252jbcFBk4Y1hPKcLyjt        <------ Tire demension calculator

This last site is where I get all the drive ratio's per gear. Including the final drive ratio.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26508278/Kawasaki-KX500-Excel-Gearing-Calculator-must-download-as-an-exel-file-before-it-works-properly

Enjoy Ricky.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:30:08 PM by Purpletj »
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
Hey Chod,
  Guys usually start with the smaller sprocket as the cost is less. I have a 13 on the front which has caused my chain to rub the case.  Unless you modify the sprocket like Cam22 I would stay away from the 13. 
    I have a 51 on the rear and that gives me about 10-15 mph in 3rd at about 1/4 throttle. 
What this does for me is keep the engine high enough in the revs that cracking the throttle will pick up the front end and the engine doesn't load up, and slow enough ground speed not to kill myself.
 With this in first it's like a trials bike.  Obviously I ride mostly single track, woods,and hills.   
  Until I went this extreme on the gearing there was only one or two places I could actually get the bike in to fifth gear, let alone open it up.   
This set up works great for me.  I don't know the top speed as I never calculated it out.   But 45-50 mph is plenty fast for an old fat guy to get from one trail to another.
  I'm not suggesting  this for your situation, just something to compare to or with.

I would recommend getting a 14 and stick with your 47  (stock gearing) on the rear.
    A good steel front is about $20.00  One tooth on the front sprocket feels like three teeth on the rear (to me)
  See if that better suits your situation and then start to consider a rear sprocket change.
Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:52 PM »
 Hey Purp,
 Great info. I think that the 57 tooth rear in Chod's post is a typo.  I'd be willing to bet he meant the stock 47.
   Those are great links.  I tried to keep all that stuff and of course lost it all... I'll be putting these  in away for safe keeping.
 Thanks!
    Tuck\o/

stewart

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
the best i have ran with 14 47 gearing and stock trans ratios was 94 mph on the pavement  with modded motor

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Hey Purp,
 Great info. I think that the 57 tooth rear in Chod's post is a typo.  I'd be willing to bet he meant the stock 47.
   Those are great links.  I tried to keep all that stuff and of course lost it all... I'll be putting these  in away for safe keeping.
 Thanks!
    Tuck\o/

Your welcome Tuck . Ok I have done some recalculations. Lets assume it was a typo. and he is running a 47 tooth. My calculator has givin me a top speed of 95.41.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
 Yup that seems to be right in line with Stewart-San.
  I would think a 57 rear sprocket would be almost the size of the rear wheel !  :-o :-D
   Tuck\o/

Chod

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »
(YES CHOD MADE A BAD BO BO i APLOGIZE FOR THE TYPO) Ill try to do better,The rear coge is a 47 tooth R-Tire 130-170-19 Motor not stock its had Head work Boarded out with a window piston thats what i was told.The way it is now i cant start it to much compression.Im 57" 175 I can barley get the ball of one foot on the ground.My buddy been starting it for me 63" 235 he wont try to crank it less he has his MC Boots on its a monster..I have the head off now sending it to JB for comp-relase.Im droping it 4in as soon as i get the head back on.It seems like it takes to long to tach out in ever gear like to lose some of the top end.Im 53 now maybe its just me.Might need to start looking for a 4 wheeler.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:21 PM »
 Hey Chod,
  Please don't think we were being judgemental, I can get all of that I need from Church  :-o
  I know how hard it is to get something across in written word.  Trust me, If the concensus is that you have it coming you will know it. :evil:        The guys know an honest question and when they're being "Baited"

I'm 47, 5'8 and 240.  There is a kind of a thing to starting the bike however the compression release is the way to go from what I can see. 
  Next time out, take along a 5 gallon bucket and set it just behind the left footpeg.
    Use the bucket to stand on for balance and then git that thing fired up and warm.   I usually only need the bucket to get it started in the morning or use it obviously when back at the truck.  The other option is to start the bike while still tied down in the truck and warm it up. The bike doesn't move at all and you can really jump on it!
    Trust me I would very much like to have the Comp. Rel. and the squish modified and get the whole Mary-Ann coated with the fancy ceramic stuff.

Four wheelers are o.k., but if your still sporting a modified KX 500 you're probably a pretty tough dude. besides, you'd have to  build a hayabusa quad to be happy  :-D

I tell you what, you try the 14 tooth counter up front.  Like the guys said  it will increase your acceleration and give up some top end.   If that doesn't give you what you need I will send you a steel 50 off my kids CRF450 and you can try that. 
  I wouldn't recommend keeping an old sprocket on the bike and messing up your chain. I can't imagine a few miles would tear it up.  All you would have to pay is to ship it back.
 Tuck\o/

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:33:57 AM »
Gearing is all about personal preferance. As a generall rule, the higher the gear ratio the less acceleration, and the higher the THEORETICAL top speeds.

The lower the gearing, the quicker the acceleration and lesser top speeds.

My gearing preference is 14/49. This for me is a perfect compramise of all types of riding from MX, to trails, to even out on the ice in winter.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:34:24 AM »
I also found 14/49 to be the perfect gearing for my 500 for mx and trails. Around here I never had aplace to really open the bike up but could ride the bike like a four stroke and lug it a bit with 14/49. Just made the bike easier to ride for me.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline blueoval

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:48:35 AM »
I run 14/48.  It works for me.  It seems to lug down with good bottom end and enough top end for the type of riding I do.  Even in the open desert I am rarely at 70 mph for any length of time.  At high speeds I feel like I am on the most non-aerodynamic contraptions known to man.   
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Chod

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 04:46:51 PM »
Hey Fri-Tuck Ill be changeing that front spocket to a 14 here in a few.Its going be a little bit cause i got the head off doing the comp-relase deal.Thanks for offer of a spocket, but i wont be need it.But the offer meant a lot, Thanks Tuck. The spockets and chain on the bike -n-tires are new so im good there.Purp thanks for the info and those web sites are great just what i needed. THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN: Polar-Bear your a man wise with words,im going to have me a plack made and hanger in the shop.Now them 2 BIG WORDS about how good it feels to ride.  :evil: I look them up in Mr Webster I feel the same way i could swore i was running a 100 and some.I Thank everone for the info :evil: