Author Topic: Air filter/air box  (Read 3127 times)

Chod

Air filter/air box
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
My bike is a 99 kx 500. I got into the airbox, looking at the air filter it must have came on the bike.Can i run the K/N air filter with out the air box.What can i do cause i dont like the air box.But i dont wont to hurt the motor either so can some one give a little help :?

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Air filter/air box
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
Chod,
 are you asking if it will hurt your engine to run without an air box?
    Not if you have a good air filter and seal.
  There are several opinions on keeping the air box or running a pod filter etc. as far as performance.
Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:52 AM »
What are you using the bike for,what type and terrain?

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:06:16 AM »
Most cases you loose torque removing the air box.  I have noticed i get the best performance with one vent open and a gousse type filter ( K&N). 

Unless you are building a purpous built engine, you may loose performance.

I had a cliant a few weeks ago come in with a yamaha woriorr that would not run well if at all.  He had spent a few thousand $ on parts (more then the machine is worth).  I ordered him a new air box lid, drilled a 2" hole and replaced his dynojet jets with Kehin jet and he is thriled that it runs better then his others.

The factories spend a lot of $$$ finding wat works best for most riders in most situations.  I will not modify a motorcycle unless we are accomidationg a ridding style of certin type of ridding

Chod

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »
First i wont to say. Thank you guys for takeing your time to help.Fria-Tuck IM going to use the Pod filter can you recommned something. Power-Fiend i mostly ride trails, in sand here in centeral Fla.I ride with my 10 year old son.I started him when he was 3 on a 4 wheeler.KX666 ill give some to ditch the box.IOn the power thats another post ill do today.As you can see the spelling isnt great i just started useing my son,s compt-- He is trying to teach his Dad. But all in all THANKS
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:45:13 AM by Chod »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:18:16 AM »
 Hey Chod,
  Don't worry about computor skills and such, The most important thing is getting out ther with the little folks.
I know this sounds cliche' but any one who has raised a few young'ins  know how fast they grow up.  And just as important is the memories they carry of spending time with the Old Man doing what they love.
  Sermon Over :roll:

There is quite alot of theory and science behind the airbox being part of the intake tract, & having the same resonance effect as the exhaust when tuned.   
  I will snoop about a bit and get back with some aftermarket filters if you check back later.
You shouldn't have any problems as long as you keep the seal and filter in good shape.  I have taken in some of the kids bikes around here to "Have a look at" and found the airfilter so mucked up it resembled a giant bran muffin....
  You may also consider a pre-filter or Filter Sock running in the sand.  I have gotten a large pair of womens socks that are actually panty hose type material and streched it over a clean air filter to help with the fine silty/volcanic type stuff we have out here.
  I suffer from hunt and peck single digit typing and the guys here run circles around my engine, suspension and computor knowledge and sill put up with me so your in like flynn!  I had a good spellchecker and somehow goofed that up also.. Oh well.. Live and Learn
Catch you later with some filter options..
Tuck\o/

Motorcycle
http://www.shopmarshalldealers.com/browse.htm?shopBy=10321&catalogid=1793

http://www.marshalldistributing.com/files/snow-2010/p.-644-656.pdf  (snowmobile)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:34:14 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »
I wouldn't eliminate the airbox, the stock design is fine and flows alot of air plus it's kinda good at keeping water out. If you go to a pod style filter you could actually limit airflow because the surface area for air to flow through would actually be smaller.
I'm also not a big fan of k&n style filters on dirt bikes either, the foam filter oiled properly seems to do a better job of keeping dirt out.
braaaaaaaaap

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »
I'm also not a big fan of k&n style filters on dirt bikes either, the foam filter oiled properly seems to do a better job of keeping dirt out.

i hear this all the time. 900hp TT's and class1's run K&N filter for 1000 mile races with some of the deepest silt in the world with no problem. i have ran a K&N on 3-wheelers, quads, and dirt bikes for 15 + years with no problem. thats in the silt, dust, and sand. in fact the filter to carb boot is cleaner that with the foam. i have had some bad experiences with foam, well with the stock sealing of a foam filter on KTM's. the K&N fixes that and seals up beater than anything out for them. i have also had foam filter pull apart at the seems. the biggest problem with any filter is packing. if the filter is completely packed it will start to pull dirt past it. the K&N tends to pack faster because of the v style of the element. i run a stocking or dust cover and after a 4 day weekend in the sand my filter still looks clean. its not but it looks like it is. the other problem with K&N is people don't do the proper maintenance. cleaning with gas is very bad for one and it open up the gousse letting more get past the filter. the other problem is with oiling them if you dont oil it properly its not going to work., the oil needs time to set too, if you oil a K&N and then go riding the oil will get suck off the filter and into the intake. so IMO a K&N with give you the same level of protection when used right.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:23:57 PM by bigbellybob »
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Chod

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys,Im going suck it up and keep the Airbox.I really wanted to run the Pod.But with the good advice you guys gave me  :-D its like  Spock says its more Logical. To keep the box. Ill run the K-N  W/Sock.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »
 I realize that it can be a pain  getting the filter in and out of the airbox.
     I am by no means an expert or anything, however I think you have made a wise choice,
Live Long and Prosper... :lol:
Tuck\o/