Author Topic: 02 Kx 100D KIPS Vavle set Up ??'s  (Read 5043 times)

Offline tang8u

02 Kx 100D KIPS Vavle set Up ??'s
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »
Howdy

We are new to  the board

I have  a ? on a 02 KX 100 KIPS ( power vavle)

The bike is my son?s It is a 02 KX 100D?all stock

I did a rebuild on the bike this last year?..He has complained about the power hit since I rebuild it.

He has complained that in the upper RPM? s he has to down shift to clear the engine out or clutch it, to clear it out

The bike is used mostly Racing in the OMRA JA Cross County series. His biggest complaint is on up hills.  Rider in 12 and weights in at 90 pounds
The bike will kind of bog,  It was not like this till Dad rebuild the engine. Bike runs on 40 to 1. Stock reeds and Pipe. Like the torque  the stock pipe makes.

I am thinking may be I screwed up on the power valve timing?After reading Spapper  Post.

My ? are?..

On the Power Valve

When it is hooked up??not running the Dot on the rod is just left of the notch on the case marking.

If the rod on top is diconnected the Dot and  Notch line                                           up.

Running the upper lever starts moving around 3800 RPM stays forward around
                                            4500 RPM

Is this right??

Or am I looking at a main Jet Issue..

Thanks Tyler 13JA OMRA.com

Offline Sapper

Re: 02 Kx 100D KIPS Vavle set Up ??'s
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »
Hey Tyler & Dad,
Your PV is correct. On these bike, they are jetted very rich from the factory and need to be on the pipe all the time. If you lean it out, they'll run alot better. Also, the rich jetting and lugging around may have gummed up the PV itself making it stick.
It won't move until higher in the rpms when there's no load on it. Another thing it could be is the governor itself being out of tolerance. Here's a post on TT to help you out.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734026.

If you go back to just the FAQ section, there's also a jetting thread to help you out too.

Offline tang8u

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »
Cool

Thanks for the Reply ..........I have the manual ........But it does not state where the KIPS should start.

This Mostly My ?? on this Issue.....We could have been running the bike with a stuck KIPS, before,  now since It working.....This is my ??? It is has a nice movement, with the cover off ......When I ride the bike No bogg and I am 200 lbs.

Main jet is a 134   

My ? is still KIPS

Where should it Hit??? and start moving???

Tang

Sapper any Info on the KX running with the Honda 150???

We had one last weekend,,,,,MY greatest fear..............d**n Need to get this KX up

Tang

Offline Sapper

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
It's hard to say when it starts or fully opens. never had a tach on one. I never really had an issue other than the first time I rebuilt one and had the shaft in wrong. But I did notice that it wouldn't hit right with the governor out of tolerance by about .010". But we have broken 2 powervalves themselves. The bike ran like total crap. Like it had no powerband at all. It would continue to pull but didn't have that hit. Come to find out, the ears had snapped off the valve.

As for the 150r, they will stomp an 85, run with a stock 100. My sons experience has been vs. a few and never had any trouble stopming them except off the gate. But the 2 stroke handled much better and as long as he was on the pipe out of a turn, he could pull on a 150. His biggest competition here locally was a kid on a 150 bored/stroked to a 174 or something and my sons was a stroker 103. They were even out of the turns but my son would run away on the straights banging another gear where the other kid would bounce off the limiter trying to not to upshift too far due to loss of power in the lower end.