Author Topic: Explosive rear shock ! Help  (Read 8009 times)

Offline 98kaw500rider

Explosive rear shock ! Help
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:32:17 AM »
I just got this rear shock back from a local shop , they replaced the seals , oil , nitrogen. I put it on and tried to start her up and after about 3 kicks this is what happened ! It blew out and oil went everywhere , shot all the way across my garage. Did they do something wrong at the shop ?
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/unpure_photo/shock.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/unpure_photo/shock1.jpg
[/img]
[/img]

Offline sandman540

Re: Explosive rear shock ! Help
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:37:28 AM »
looks like they forgot to install a shap ring on the outside of the piston. Take it back and have then fill it with oil and more nitrogen. it should be covered under faulty workmanship...good thing it didnt happen out in bfe on the trail...Sandman :roll:

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:02:40 AM »
 I believe sandman is right on, the snap ring may have been faulty,buggard,not properly installed etc.
    I hope the shop stands by their work.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »
OK , Thanks guys. I will have to take it off and swing by there monday , sux because today was a perfect day to go riding.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:15:17 AM »
Theres no clip. It threads in. to remove it from the shock you have to drill the ping marks out so that way when you unscrew it, it does not destroy the threads. It looks like to me from way over here that they just unscrewed it. I would say they screwed your shock up royal.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »
Did they have to remove this to put new seals and oil in the shock ? it was not like this when i dropped it off to them.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:48:49 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
Did they have to remove this to put new seals and oil in the shock ? it was not like this when i dropped it off to them.
Yes, to rebuild the shock you have to take the whole thing appart. You start by drilling out the ping marks that are done at the factory to keep it from unscrewing. If you do not drill the ping marks it will destroy the threads when you unscrew the vavle from the shock body. Also when that blew out like that it popped the the rubber nitrogen bladder,you will need a new one. If I was you I would just start looking for a new shock.You can see the ping marks I'm talking about on the right and left of the hole.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:44:36 AM by BDI »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
 :-o
  Sorry man, The picks had a red X on them, After I clicked on the link I saw you picks... Dooh...
   Lemme try again.. :cry:

BDI Is Right...AGAIN... :x  :-D
   Tuck\o/ 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:00:55 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:17 AM »
The bottom of the reserve didnt blow out tho , The bolt that screws into the top of the reserve busted out. Can you guys see the pics off the links i posted ? If not i will try to post pictures or a different link to the pictures. I didn't have the shock rebuilt , i had them replace the seals , oil , and charge it.  I am going to make the shop that did this either replace the shock or fix the damage done.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »
 From what I see, BDI is right, the stake spots were not drilled out and the threads are damaged.  An experienced shock rebuilder would have seen that and known it would not stay sealed. I think BDI's plan to just find a used shock and start over, is also the fastest way to get back out riding. No reason to get mad or make accusations, just decide on the fastest way to get it fixed and focus on that.  Your shock rebuilder will probably help in this process, if you dont piss him off.
 Happy Easter, hope your bike is back together soon.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline junk man

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
if your just going to replace the head seals or assembly there no reason to remove the compression valve unless it was leaking or something was damaged
and leaving the valving as is  I just took a look at my 500 shock i had scotts revalve it and looks like its never been removed  ask them if they removed it  if so why
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:24:51 PM by junk man »

Offline BDI

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »
If your going to rebuild something properly you need to take it completely appart and replace every part that can go bad, that includes the o-rings in the valve. if some one only half ass rebuilt your shock you would be pisst if in a year you have to do it again because the o-rings they didn't replace started leaking.

Offline junk man

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
I agree if i asked a guy to overhaul it i would expect it to be done right if i asked to have a seal changed and recharged i would not expect any more  now when a fork seal go's bad i don't totally disassemble every part of the fork leg sometime it best to leave some things alone  
all that maters is the shop makes good on his shock
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:29:14 PM by junk man »

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:36 PM »
I thought having seals replaced was just general maintenance , this shop has been around along time . I'm sure they have replaced many seals in the years they have been open. The shock was leaking oil from the bottom of the shaft , i'm not sure what seal was bad. I know i started the bike and road it many times before i had them service the shock and if that was going to blow out it would of happened when riding it ( jumping around and what not ). They had to take this apart, that could only explain why it would blow just a few kicks on the bike. How they damaged the thread and why they would try to put it back together after it was damaged is beyond me. I am taking it in Monday after work , I'll hand it to them and say " Call me when it's fixed "  :-)
Thanks