Author Topic: just bought a 98 kx 80 and am curious  (Read 2758 times)

Offline matzilla

just bought a 98 kx 80 and am curious
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
got it for $500. I'm curious about what to expect. clutch slips a bit, fork seals leak a little, and the plastic is rashed up, but it runs good. fires first kick. goes through all the gears smooth. i am hoping for some insight and what to watch for. thanks in advance. mat

Offline cbxracer30

Re: just bought a 98 kx 80 and am curious
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
Your clutch basket most likely needs filed and the clutch replaced. You can buy complete plastic kits on Ebay for around $100. The newer style 80 has better bottom end than the 92 thru 97 model year, the non-powervalved motors have tons more topend [4mm bigger exhaust]. Should make a little someone a great trail bike. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline matzilla

Re: just bought a 98 kx 80 and am curious
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:49:33 PM »
today I spent a couple hours messing with it.  cut down the pro tapers to an appropriate size, rerouted cables, lubed them, adjusted the clutch and throttle freeplay, replaced the missing fender bolts, and tightened all the loose ones.  the clutch had no free play when I got it.  it was slipping because it was like it was pulled part way.  this thing rips!  I am thoroughly amazed at how much fun it is to wind it up.  you can really feel the power band hit.  I will have to do the fork seals and adjust the ride height for him.  previous owner cranked up the preload on the rear spring.  looking forward to doing some work on this.