Author Topic: powervalve governor adjustment  (Read 3287 times)

Offline 5004life

powervalve governor adjustment
« on: March 28, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »
my 87 kx 500 has a bog in the midrange if u shift it a gear high , fresh top end,pro circuit pipe and 13/52 gearing......im thinkin it is the powervalve because at an idle the actuation rod is never all the way in , is there a way to adjust the powervalve governor?

Offline cbxracer30

Re: powervalve governor adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
Are you sure you have the powervalves installed correctly ? The marks on the the gears aren't alignment marks. Also make sure you have good fuel flow [screen clean on petcock] & not sucking the bowl dry on the carb. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »
just had a look at my 86(same powervalve design) and the round disc at the end of your p/v rod should have a gap when fully pushed in of 5-6mm.HTH.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline 5004life

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
Are you sure you have the powervalves installed correctly ? The marks on the the gears aren't alignment marks. Also make sure you have good fuel flow [screen clean on petcock] & not sucking the bowl dry on the carb. CBX
thats what the manual said though

Offline 5004life

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
anyone else

Offline amra500

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »
water in the carb, mine did that but it was on top that it bogged

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
if it was pv out of sync, you would have a dodgy midrange all the time, shifting up a gear wouldnt make it any worse, just increases the load on the engine.if you can wind it out in a low gear and its ok, i would look to it being rich in the midrange.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline 5004life

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
im pretty sure its jetting now guys i moved the needle clip up and it runs a lot better now