Author Topic: 86 kx500  (Read 8280 times)

Offline logans

86 kx500
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
hey guys, its nice knowing that there is a site just for kx riders. i am new to kawasaki and just bought a really nice 86 kx500, what would be the best info to know? as far as fule mixtures to anything to help me with getting to no the bike. Thanxs, Logans :-)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: 86 kx500
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
 Welcome Logans,
  There is so much  here to sift through it's hard to know where to begin. The best thing I think I did was get  a
manual.  I found the Clymer KX manual to be great. It is cheaper than the FSM and will have everything you need to work on the bike.
http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-1982-1991-1983-2002-Clymer-Motorcycle/dp/0892878649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269574858&sr=1-1
  These pop up on ebay somewhat less than new, as well as owners manual etc.

The next best advice I can think of is to verify the condition of the engine and Brakes!
   A well tuned stock engine will give you a baseline to measure any future mods and may save frustration and $'s
 Hopefully some of the guys with early bikes will be able to give you some options on parts availability and suppliers.
  A word of caution on throttle control...
Don't be afraid to take it easy right off, things start to happen quickly, as I'm sure you'll find out. :-D
   Fuel/oil ratio, brands of fuel, pre-mix and tranny fluid have many and varied opinions.  What type of riding you will do & skill level are things guys will factor in to their advice. 
      There may be other members in your area willing to help out. 
Glad to have you along.
Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline blueoval

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »
Welcome, logans!  This is a great site and you will find a lot of good people and useful information.  Tuck gave great advice on the clymer manual as that was one of my first purchases and it payed off many time over.  I might add to check the condition of the cables, especially the throttle cable.    Enjoy!  B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:08:39 AM »
Hi fella, welcome to  the finest KX5 information database in the whole world. I've got an 86 model too, which i have owned for 4 years now, so i know it inside out, have a good knowledge of the 86 parts that you cant get any more and which parts from the later models you can fit to get round it.Gizza shout if your stuck.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline logans

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
hey guys this is my 86, what do you think?

Offline logans

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »
hey sorry one more thing, i have 14/50 gearing is that a good set up? is it for torque or speed?

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:47 AM »
tidy that is for an old girl.hows the top end pull with that pipe? you can check mine out in the gallery(stripped for rebuild at minute). :x
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 04:00:57 AM »
standard 86 gearing is 14/48.with 14/50 it will accelerate harder but have a lower top speed.the supermoto guys(with 17 inch wheels) run it as high as 16/35, so take your pick.bigger at front sprocket,smaller on back gives higher top speed and tames it a bit.vice versa for acceleration.HTH.K.

Offline logans

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 04:04:36 AM »
hey thanxs, she does pull pretty good but it has better lower mid range power over top end. i re did most of the bike, when i got her i was embarsed to load her in the back of my truck lol

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 04:09:27 AM »
old 'uns need more love but its worth it in the end......I hope.what size main jet are you running?(stock is a 380)your top end might improve if you go down one size as the aftermarket pipes are better at scavenging the gas from the cylinder.keep an eye on your plug if you do though, you dont wanna sieze it....

Offline logans

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:12:43 AM »
i am not sure of the jetting, i wish i new what the guy did before me, is there any way to find out?

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 04:20:14 AM »
it will be stamped on the underside of the jet inside the carb.a good way to learn your way around it is to go to the kawasaki parts diagrams, a link to which can be found in the 'parts identification help' thread mentioned above. it gives you exploded views of every system on the bike and all the Kwak part numbers..... :-D

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 04:25:45 AM »
sorry, it aint mentioned above, i got the wrong thread.go to 'In General' and look for 'part identification help',its on the 3rd page or thereabouts, and a guy with an old KX cant really live without it once you've seen it...

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 04:35:42 AM »
if your ever unsure about anything, modifying something or which later model parts will fit or you just want to bounce an idea off someone, send me a personal message and I'll dig you out if i can.the 86 is the first water cooled, powervalved, disc braked KX5,but the last model to use the mark 1 unitrak back end, so its a bit of an odd ball, but nothing we cant overcome. Someone's got to keep the historic models running, and it might as well be us... :evil:

Offline logans

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:38:44 AM »
lol ya for sure, i wish i could buy a brand newbike but money is tight,but i think it should get me around pretty good. i havent really rode it much cause i got it with bad crank seals and i am gonna replace them monday. you have to split the case on that year or can i get around doin that? i have never rode a bike bigger than a 250 so i am kind of nervous about gettin on it? is it as powerful as they say it is?