Author Topic: k5, swingarm painted?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Hman636

• 00 kx 250, 02 yamaha warrior 1700, 06 yz 250
k5, swingarm painted?
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »
Ok, i could use some more help again. my friends 92 K5 is in my garage and I put the 2nd coat of paint on it today and while i was in the garage i was looking at the swing arm  and i noticed that there is black ? paint on it or something under the silver paint. can people paint the swingarm? i was looking at peoples post before and i thought i saw someone sent a swing arm out for powder coating? i was thinking of taking the paint off the swingarm and spraying it but not sure what to do.. its not my bike but im doing all the work on it lol.. if anyone has any info or advise please let me know. thanks again. :roll:

Offline bike_boy_england

Re: k5, swingarm painted?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:57 AM »
I have just had my frame and swingarm for my supermoto powder coated gloss black, and i must say i am 'as' impressed is i have been with other bike frames i have had done. nowadays you can have the coating done in just about any colour you want. i think there are a couple of different processes used, electric passed through or heat baked, i am no expert on the subject mind! mine was done with the latter process. they protected all threads and bearing surfaces from exposure. if u are having your swingarm done, press the bearings out as the oven melts the grease, stopping the coating adhering properly! i will post pics when i suss out how! hope this helps

Offline Hman636

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
So the factory has the swingarm powder coated then right away. I never had that done before i always just cleaned it up the best i can. all the bikes i have had were just shinny aluminum " if thats spelled right".  but thanks for the help.

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:04:43 PM »
the swingarm i had coated had already been coated before i got the bike, it was silver, i had it blasted and re-coated. it looks the dogs danglys now!

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »
just looked at another swinger i have and that has a bare aluminium finish

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »
I just took all the paint off mine. Got it sandblasted then bead blasted and rubbed it down with a kitchen scourer using autosol and it came up really amazing. That way do not have to worry if the paint chips off, did the same with the subframe as well

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »
im polishing cases as we speak and scouring pads plus autosol sounds like a bloody good idea to me.nice one. :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Hman636

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »
found a local guy to powder coat the swing arm for 30 bucks. i didnt think it was a bad price?

Offline bike_boy_england

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »
i think that is a very good price. i paid ?130 for frame, swingarm, sub frame, footrest mounts and shock spring. the company who did it are helping out with a VERY interresting project. the restoration of bluebird, the jet boat that campbell crashed on lake coniston. if anyone is interrested aswell can check it out at thebluebirdproject.com !

http://thebluebirdproject.com/TheBlueBirdProject.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:56:47 AM by Danger4u2 »